Friday, August 26, 2022

More Hummingbird Hawk-moths.

Friday 26th August 2022.


One of the Hummingbird Hawk-moths feeding on Buddleia within the Cemetery.

As my wife is now out of hospital, I managed to grab an hour or so to take a walk around Highland Road Cemetery, while my daughter is looking after her. It turned out to be a very warm and sunny morning as I made my way into the Cemy without Scruff I might add. Sadly, he is not that good on his feet now and he did struggle last time in walking back home from there. Earlier today, a Hummingbird Hawk-moth was back feeding on the Buddleia tree at the back of my garden, so I was wondering if there were any within the Cemy.


Above, the micro moth Pyrausta despicata, which was abundant on the grass. Below, another photo of the Hummingbird Hawk-moth.  



It was looking very Autumnal within the Cemetery this morning.

Amazingly, there were at least two Hummingbird Hawk-moths present, notably on the Buddleia plant in the south-west corner that was sporting plenty of flowers for it to feed on. Also present were good numbers of the micro moth, Pyrausta despicata, that flew up from the dried grass from my feet. There were also several Meadow Grasshoppers in the area, judging by the ‘chirps’ they were making. There were quite a few butterflies on the wing this morning including several Large White, Holly Blue and two probable, Red Admiral and a Painted Lady; both seen very briefly.


One of the three Willow Warblers within the Cemy; this individual was probably the most showy of the warblers. Below, it is rare to see a Kestrel over Southsea, so this individual was a good record for the area. 

Sadly, no Flycatchers or Redstarts within the Cemy, but there were at least three Willow Warblers seen, though not easy to see and much preferred to remain in deep cover of the vegetation. I spotted a Falcon high up in the sky over the rooftops to the north and though I did not have my binoculars with me at the time, I managed to ID the bird as a Kestrel, where I managed to take a few photos and checked it out on my laptop. Another surprise was a Firecrest, first heard calling then seen in the Holm Oak Clump in the centre of the Cemetery. I didn't expect that. To trump that, a solitary Crossbill flew high over the Cemetery heading west; identified on its call as it flew over. There were not many birds again within the Cemy with just 12 species seen during my 90 minutes there. Species seen this morning included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Jay
  • Robin
  • Blue Tit
  • Willow Warbler
  • Firecrest
  • Goldfinch
  • Crossbill  
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon  

Above, the Firecrest seen within the Holm Oak clump. Butterflies were abundant this morning with Holly Blue's (below) being in very good numbers.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...