Monday, June 13, 2022

Second Hawk-moth of the day.

Tuesday 14th June  2022.


My first Elephant Hawk-moth of the year. 

Up again at 4.45am, I quickly got dressed, glugged down a cup of Orange juice and then made my way into the garden for another check of my moth box. It was a cool start to the morning and with not a cloud in the sky or a breath of wind, I started to check the outside of the box. I put the white sheet back up last night behind the box, hoping to attract more moths and when I did a quick check before retiring to bed last night, I had found my first Elephant Hawk-moth of the year to go along with the Hummingbird Hawk-moth I saw earlier that day!


Marbled Minor. 

Beautiful Plume. Though common, I have had just a few this month.  

Thankfully, it was still around this morning, clinging onto the bottom of the white sheet along with a few other moths including a Light Emerald, White Ermine and a Straw Dot among 35 moths of 19 species. The following moths were present this morning:

  • 1 Elephant Hawk-moth
  • 4 Willow Beauty
  • 3 White Ermine
  • 1 Straw Dot
  • 3 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 2 Riband Wave
  • 1 Marbled Minor
  • 2 Heart & Dart
  • 2 Lime-speck Pug
  • 1 Buff Ermine  
  • 1 Bee Moth
  • 2 Vines Rustic
  • 1 Light Emerald
  • 3 Common Plume
  • 2 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 2 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 2 Celypha striana
  • 1 Beautiful Plume
  • 1 Chrysoteuchia culmella


I have a Buff-tailed Bumble bees nest at the back of my garden and I guess this and another one never made it home last night and spent the night in my moth box!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...