Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Damn cats!

Wednesday 15th June 2022.



Goldfinches enjoying my sunflower hearts in my back garden this evening.

Another very warm day today with temperatures getting into the mid 70’s and with bright sunshine and just a hint of cloud, it was quite hot at times this afternoon. There was no checking of the moth box this morning as I am restricting it to three times a week, so I am not so knackered during the day! However, it will be on tonight. 


A Robber Fly with prey at Woolmer Pond. Photo by Andy Friend.

Today took me over the Chichester and Emsworth area where I was working most of the day and most of my sightings I noted were by Chichester Crematorium. The female Sparrowhawk was seen sitting on her nest at this location and nearby in the trees, a Blackcap was singing still. Behind the Crematorium, both Chiffchaff and Common Whitethroat were also heard singing. A flock of Long-tailed Tits were busy searching the canopy of the trees and I noticed a lot of small butterflies high up in the tops of the trees and looked good for a Hairstreak species, most likely being Purple Hairstreak, but without my binoculars, I could only guess, but they did look dark in the sunshine. 


A Dark-green Fritillary butterfly on Knapweed photographed at Charlton Down last Sunday by Andy Friend.

When walking back from work, I was walking along Jesse Road where I came across a Hummingbird Hawk-moth flitting around by a house. It was seen several times and could have even been two individuals as it or another one was seen flying at speed across Talbot Road! This mini heatwave we are getting this week could prove the catalyst in getting some more interesting immigrant moths this week. Fingers crossed. 


Another photo of the feeding Goldfinches in my garden.

The pair of Glossy Ibis are still present on Posbrook Floods today and look good for a long stay. Could they possibly breed in the future here? I do hope so. When I got home late this afternoon, I poured myself a cold drink and went to sit in the garden. As soon as I stepped into the garden, a bloody cat took one of the young Starlings and hurried off into the next door's garden to simply play with it. I quickly got my big Water Pistol gun fully armed with cold water (it is Isabelle’s, honestly!) and fired directly at the cat of which it quickly ran off. Several times the cat came back and several times it got a good bloody soaking! It soon got the message and ran off leaving behind a thoroughly stunned young Starling, but I am not sure if it survived or not. Domestic Cats kill millions of birds and animals each year in the UK and even Australia have now banned Cats from going outside. That would never happen here in this 'Nanny' state country. Maybe one day when the thick public might realise the disappearance of all our wildlife?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...