Tuesday, September 15, 2026

PINION-STREAKED SNOUT moth added to my Life List.

Tuesday 15th September 2026.


Dawn from my garden.


A cooler morning today with some cloud cover and hardly any wind whatsoever. When I was walking the dogs, there was a spectacular sunrise with the clouds painted fiery red; but numpty forgot to take his camera to record such a beautiful start to the morning. Doh!

On a positive side, there was a very good number of Moths present in and around my Moth Box early this morning as I made my way out to the garden around 6.25am (it’s getting later for enough sunlight to check the Moths!).

Back to Pembroke Road this morning and on my first shift and I managed to get into double figures again regarding the birds……just!

 

My Moth Box:


My first ever PINION-STREAKED SNOUT. This attractive small moth is now on my UK Moth Life List.


I was well pleased with a good Moth total of 95 individuals of 23 species, and this included my first ever PINION-STREAKED SNOUT that I found just inside the Moth Box. As I have never seen this species before in the flesh, I was really surprised on how small it was and more like a micro moth than a macro moth. Nevertheless, quite a smart looking little Moth and a welcome addition to my UK Moth Life List that currently stands at 743 species.



Above, this Mullein Wave was new for the year and below, two Vestal moths were recorded this morning.



A Mullein Wave perched on the fence panel behind my Moth Box was my first of the year and a good variety of migrant Moths to report as well. These included 2 Vestals, Golden Twin-spot, Pearly Underwing, Langmaid’s Yellow Underwing, Angle Shades and 3 Rusty-dot Pearls (Udea ferrugalis).


Some of the most numerous species this morning was (above) the L-album Wainscots and (below) the Large Yellow Underwings.



The ‘Underwings’ nearly took the title for the most moths this morning with 16 Lesser Yellows and 13 Large Yellow Underwings, but it was the L-album Wainscots that stole the show with a staggering 18 recorded. The following moths were counted this morning:

 

MACRO MOTHS

MICRO MOTHS

 

 

PINION-STREAKED SNOUT x1

Rusty-dot Pearl x3

Mullein Wave * x1

Light Brown Apple Moth x4

Lesser Yellow Underwing x16

Box Tree Moth x2

Large Yellow Underwing x13

Common Plume x1

Langmaid’s Yellow Underwing x1

 

Vestal x2

 

Golden Twin-spot x1

 

Pearly Underwing x1

 

Clancy’s Rustic x3

 

Square-spot Rustic x2

 

Willow Beauty x1

 

Double-striped Pug x8

 

Vine’s Rustic x1

 

L-album Wainscot x18

 

Blair’s Mocha x2

 

Buff Ermine x1

 

Pale Mottled Willow x4

 

Small Dusty Wave x5

 

Angle Shades x1

 

 

While checking the Moths, there was a small bit of bird passage overhead with a couple of single Meadow Pipits heading south as did a Yellow Wagtail. A Great Tit was making a lot of noise in the back of the garden but was easily shouted out by a couple of Magpies!

 

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

The cloud certainly rolled in this morning and at one stage I thought it was going to rain on my first shift today.  I managed to get up to 10 bird species this morning from my first shift here and that included sightings of both Grey Wagtail flying south high overhead and a Chiffchaff, which was quite possibly yesterday’s juvenile bird.

Apart from them, it was all the usual birds, but watching a group of Blue Tits chasing one another around the Holm Oaks was entertaining and lovely to hear the Robin singing away over the din of the passing traffic.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PINION-STREAKED SNOUT moth added to my Life List.

Tuesday 15th September 2026. Dawn from my garden. A cooler morning today with some cloud cover and hardly any wind whatsoever. When I was ...