Sunday, March 13, 2022

Some garden wildlife.

Sunday 13th March 2022.


A couple of male House Sparrows picking of cement granules at the back of our houses.

Last night, I set up the moth box hoping for a few nice moths to study first thing in the morning, but it turned out to be a disastrous move. Maybe I should have checked the weather forecast beforehand, which would have been the most sensible thing to do, but no; I went for it and paid the price at getting up at 3am to turn the moth box OFF! Before I retired for the night, the wind was blowing like buggery, my white sheet flapping menacingly due to the strength of the wind and yet it was clear overhead. But it was when I heard the rain pounding on our bedroom window when I realised that I had to get up and turn the light off on the moth box.



One, two and then three enjoying the sunflower hearts from my feeder. 

As expected, I did not get up till 9.30am and staggering down into the garden to check the box, I was not surprised to see not one moth in or around the moth box! So my wait for a decent moth in my garden continues. A little later in the morning, the sun came out and checking the few plants I have in the garden (we are having a major garden makeover next week), there was little insect life of note, unlike yesterday when there were several of the Hoverflies, Meliscaeva auricollis, flying around our Privet plant. However, I did find an interesting Crane Fly species that was kindly identified on Facebook as Tipula rufina. This is a Spring species of Crane Fly and though common throughout various parts of the UK, to look at it close up, one can see how intricate the wing pattern is.


The Crane Fly species Tipula rufina.

Away from insects, our local House Sparrows were enjoying the sunflower hearts on my feeder with at least 8 to 10 birds coming down to feed. A little later, several of the House Sparrows were seen to pick off the granules of cement between the brickwork off the terraced houses. They use these granules to break down the seeds in the gullets and evidence of this can be seen all along the terraced housing here in my road. I am still awaiting the first Chiffchaff or Blackcap singing in the back gardens and I don't think we are far away from their delightful songs. 


The Hoverfly species, Meliscaeva auricollis. This individual is a female.

A few more migrants have been seen today in Hampshire including Wheatears, Little Ringed Plovers and even a Hobby was seen in some lucky birders' gardens within Southampton. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...