Monday, March 14, 2022

A nice haul of Micro moths this morning.

Monday 14th March 2022.


One of three Double-striped Pugs this morning.

I took a gamble with the weather last night and put the moth box on again and this morning, I ACTUALLY got some moths! We were going to have someone in this morning to start work on our back garden, but now have to rearrange due to the fact both Becky and I have Covid and now has been put back to after Easter. So, with the garden all clear, I put the moth box on overnight and hoped for the best.


A close up of the Common Plume on my back door today.

It was a crisp clear start to this morning as I got up early to check the moth box. There was hardly a cloud in the sky as I went about checking the fencing panels first for moths and then finally the white sheet behind the box and then the box itself. I found a total of 12 moths, which included 3 Double-striped Pugs, 5 Light Brown Apple Moth's and 4 Common Plume’s. I was hoping for my first Early Grey of the year, but I am sure one will pop in over the coming weeks.


One of the many forms of Light Brown Apple Moth on the white sheet. 

There was a probable Bonaparte’s Gull reported yesterday at Blashford Lakes, which has yet to be confirmed and also an adult Winter Little Gull on Posbrook Flood late in the afternoon. There is a good influx of Wheatears today in the UK and I shall be taking our Scruff for a walk, hopefully, down Eastney seafront later this afternoon to see if I can find one.    


One of many Black-headed Gulls on the small pools within the car park at Eastney this afternoon.

I took that walk around Eastney Outfall in the afternoon, but it was to be a dire affair, with very little of note to be seen. A few newly arrived Wheatears had been seen not too far away from here and I was hoping one had arrived early this morning here. Sadly, it was not to be as I made my way through driving across the treacherous car park (pot holes here are ridiculous!) to park overlooking the harbour entrance. I was greeted immediately with good numbers of Black-headed and Herring Gulls within the car park, but little else of note here. 

Oxford Ragwort in bloom at Eastney Point.

So I took a walk to the Outfall, stopping to check out a couple of Oxford Ragwort plants to take a photo and then check out the grassy area around the Water Treatment Works for something interesting. Again, all was very quiet here and even the sea was near bird-less. I checked the buildings for a possible Black Redstart, but to no avail and even the large grassy field by the fence line was also void of birds, bar lots of Feral Pigeons. I have to admit, I am never comfortable leaving my car in this car park as some dodgy people hang around here, like the three dodgy (east Europeans?) guys doing something odd with their car while I was there.


A lone Mediterranean Gull was probably the highlight on a quiet walk around Eastney Point.

I decided to give the Little Owls a try along the seafront by Fort Cumberland, but they were not on show either this afternoon despite favourable conditions. The sun was shining and there was very little wind, so I was surprised the Owls were not on show as were any Black Redstarts within the ruined buildings behind the fence line. In fact, the only birds I saw here were a few Black-headed Gulls on the beach and sea and Feral Pigeons on the rooftops of the buildings. Some would say that it was a total waste of time, but I did get some nice fresh air for my efforts. There were no signs of any Sanderlings on the tideline, but there were a lot of dog-walkers on the beach today, but it was a nice afternoon and who could blame anyone for taking in some lovely weather.      


A calm sea over the Solent looking west from Eastney Point.


This beautiful male Wheatear was found at Hook-with-Warsash this morning. Photo by Pete Appleton. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...