Monday, October 11, 2021

Insects galore in my garden this afternoon.

Monday 11th October 2021.


Three of the four Red Admiral butterflies nectaring on the Ivy in my back garden this afternoon. 

After spending several hours at my Father’s house catching up on my day off, this afternoon while having a spot of lunch, I checked out the insect life in my back garden, especially around the flowering Ivy in the sunshine. Similar to yesterday, there were up to four Red Admiral butterflies on the Ivy and a nice variety of other insects.





The Red Admiral butterflies showed very well and allowed a close approach for these photos.

Hoverfly species present included the Common Drone Fly Eristalis tenax, Dead Head Hoverfly Myathropa florea, Syrphus ribesii and the small Syritta pipiens. A Common Wasp joined in the action, as did a lot of House Flies and Ivy Bees. In just 15 minutes checking out the Ivy, there was a wealth of insects to look at. I have been told that a lot of moths will nectar on the flowering Ivy during the night, so worth keeping an eye out later tonight. 






Photos from top to bottom: Common Drone Fly, Dead Head Hoverfly and Syrphus ribesii.

On the way to my Fathers house, driving out of Portsmouth on the M275, at least two Common Buzzards were seen perched on lamp posts beside the road and at least 6 Jays were counted as I drove up the A3, with a further two more seen from my Father’s garden. The juvenile Purple Heron was again present this morning in fields off Summer Lane, Pagham, while over at Normandy Marsh, the Western Sandpiper was still entertaining the crowds.  




Photos from top to bottom: Ivy Bee and Common Marbled Carpet moth, which I found near the moth box this afternoon.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...