Tuesday, October 12, 2021

A Yellow-browed Warbler heard.

Tuesday 12 October 2021.


One of two Lunar Underwings at The Oaks Crematorium today.

I was in for a bit of a surprise this morning when I was working at Portchester Crematorium. I had just parked the car at the bottom car park when I heard the distinctive call of a Yellow-browed Warbler.   I told my work colleagues that I had a bit of time on my hands and so went off to try and see the bird, but despite my best efforts, the bird eluded me. It was calling for around a minute and then all went quiet, then it started calling again behind the Memorial gardens, but, again, I failed to locate the bird and that was the last I heard it. Bugger! I did send a message to the ‘Lazee gang’ on Whatsapp, hoping someone else might have better luck than me, but it looked as though it might have fallen on deaf ears.

While searching for the bird, a few notable birds were seen including 3 flyover Skylarks, a Coal Tit and a flock of 7 Linnets overhead heading west. A check around the back of the South Chapel produced a large amount of moths, but mostly Common and Beautiful Plume moths (20 & 16 respectively); the only other moth species found here this morning were two Rusty-dot Pearls, which was a bit disappointing.


The second Lunar Underwing moth at The Oaks Crematorium this afternoon.

While over The Oaks Crematorium this afternoon, I found two Lunar Underwing moths by the Book of Remembrance building. Jays were constantly flying over from woodland to woodland (a permanent feature for this species today while on my travels) and a flock of 4 ‘alba’ Wagtails flew over the car park heading west and probably off to roost. A Chiffchaff was heard calling by the woodland, though never seen with another at Portchester Crematorium this morning.


This new noticeboard has been put up at The Oaks Crematorium, who are in partnership with the Hampshire Wildlife Trust.

While driving around, at least three Common Buzzards were seen, with one perched on the lamp post beside the M275 and two more flying over Portsdown Hill as well as a male Kestrel. It was a rather warm day today although overnight temperatures plummeted and we awoke to a very cold start to the day, reminding us that Winter is just around the corner. Redwings are now being reported in numbers within the countryside, although I have yet to see or even hear any yet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...