Monday, September 28, 2026

A good total of bird species in Old Portsmouth.

Monday 28th September 2026.


Trust me, I am not religious in anyway, but I do like a nice sunrise over Highland Road Cemetery.


Though the cold I have is still here, I went to Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth to start my working week. It was to be a bright but overcast start to the day with a very light westerly wind. I didn’t have the effort to set up the Moth Box last night as I was desperate for a good night’s sleep; though I wished I did. I shall make up for that tonight.

It was a good day at Pembroke Road with not only pleasant weather, but a very good species total of birds; all of which were seen on my first shift.


Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:


The Bowling Green where up to 5 Pied Wagtails were present briefly this morning and oh, the stuffed Crow that is supposed to deter the birds here. Just laughable! The Magpies were playing football with it this afternoon!

Up to 18 species were recorded this morning with at least 10 of those within the first 10 minutes of my arrival. The Bowling Green nearby held at least 5 Pied Wagtails for around a few minutes until they dispersed, but leaving behind a pair that continued to search the short grass for the next 20 minutes. A Grey Wagtail was in the area for most of my time there, seen several times flying low overhead.

Not an awful lot of visible migration overhead, but two Meadow Pipits flying together headed off westbound. A Chiffchaff was calling in vegetation between the Bowling Green and Governor’s Green and seen flying off south while I checked the Bowling Green to count the Wagtails. A single Jay flew out of the trees opposite and headed off west.

The bird species seen or heard today included the following:

  • Jay
  • Magpie
  • Carrion Crow
  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Great Black-backed Gull
  • Blackbird
  • Great Tit
  • Blue Tit
  • Pied Wagtail (5)
  • Grey Wagtail
  • Meadow Pipit (2)
  • Chiffchaff
  • Wren
  • Robin
  • Dunnock
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon

In Hampshire today:

The Semi-palmated Sandpiper was still present today at Pennington Marshes and a Little Stint was on the lake at Farlington Marshes. There were two reports of White-tailed Eagles with one at Portchester and another over Blashford Lakes. The long staying Osprey was reported again at Fawley Refinery.

Other news:


A lovely portrait of a Curlew at Keyhaven Marshes last Saturday. Photo by Emma Parkes.

During my travels today, I heard and saw my first Skylarks moving overhead when a pair of birds were seen flying very high over Eastney heading eastbound. At least two more Chiffchaffs were heard calling in the Eastney area later this morning.



A Wheatear at Stanpit Marshes. Photo by Emma Parkes.


Yesterday, birding pal Geoff Farwell went to Farlington Marshes where he recorded the following sightings: Merlin, Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Raven, 16 Greenshank, 55 Great Crested Grebes, 2 Med Gulls, Kingfisher, 4 Stonechat, 3 Chiffchaff and heard both Bearded Tits and Yellow Wagtails. A Spotted Redshank was seen at the same site earlier in the morning by another birder.

Meanwhile, back over at Cowplain Marsh, Mr Andy Fisher had a Hobby over his garden at 6.30pm last Saturday. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was on the peanuts while overhead there has been daily sightings of Swallows, Martins and Meadow Pipits. A few Grey Wagtails over too.



A Black-tailed Godwit having a scratch at Hook-with-Warsash Reserve. Photo by Emma Parkes.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

An early morning walk around the Cemy.

Saturday 24 th October 2026. It was overcast when I arrived at Highland Road Cemetery. The strong winds died down eventually late last ni...