Friday, September 20, 2024

Two more moths added to year list.

Friday 20th September 2024.


A quality moth in the form of a Scarce Bordered Straw. I have only seen a handful of these moths since I have been studying moths.

Another clear night produced some interesting moths this morning from my garden Moth Trap with two new species for the year being found within the Box itself. It was still a bit breezy this morning with a north-easterly blowing across Southsea; however, possible heavy showers with the chance of thunder this afternoon is forecast today here in the south.


Not quite so rare, this Fern Smut was my first of the year. They do fly during the day and in previous years, have been relatively common.


THE MOTH BOX:

As Autumn progresses, there is always a chance of a rare migrant and I was blessed this morning with my first Scarce Bordered Straw of the year. I was a little confused at first. On my App ‘Obsidentify’ said it was a Cotton Bollworm moth. I have never heard of it, but when I took a decent photo on my main camera, I could clearly see it was a Scarce Bordered Straw. There were a host of other good moths including my first Fern Smut (what an unfortunate vernacular name to give a moth!) of the year. Up to three Old Lady moths were in the Moth Box and a pristine Bloxworth Snout too.


Bloxworth Snout moth. I have seen a few of these now throughout the year.

The moths present this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • Marbled Beauty
  • Old Lady 3
  • Willow Beauty
  • Lesser Yellow Underwing 5
  • L-album Wainscot 4
  • Double-striped Pug 2
  • Bloxworth Snout
  • Scarce Bordered Straw (New for Year)
  • Pale Mottled Willow
  • Brimstone Moth
  • Common Footman
  • Small Dusty Wave
MICRO MOTHS:
  • Ruddy Streak 3
  • Fern Smut (NFY)
  • Rusty-dot Pearl
  • Box-tree Moth 3
  • Light Brown Apple Moth 4
  • Tree-mallow Tortrix


One of three Old Lady moths in the Moth Box this morning.

Overhead, I could hear the familiar call of Meadow Pipits flying over, but apart from them, there was nothing else moving during the 20 minutes I was in the garden.


Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

I recorded 13 species of birds here this morning, either seen or heard, that included a Chiffchaff and Grey Wagtail that were both heard only. All the usual birds were present and correct, while a Jay was seen flying from tree to tree as I made my way along Duisberg Way. 

On my second shift today, the supposed thunderstorms rolling in never materialised (surprise, surprise) although I could have guessed as the weather forecast on ITV is usually totally wrong. Though there were no new additions to my day list here in Pembroke Road; there were, however, plenty of butterflies around, especially Small White's. There must have been easily a dozen flying up and down the front gardens here including a female that was attracting a lot of male's by laying on the warm pavement and lifting up her abdomen to be mated to any passing male (see film footage below). Other butterflies seen included a Speckled Wood, Red Admiral and a 'Blue' that could have possibly been a Common Blue or even a Long-tailed Blue? 


Mating Small White butterflies in Pembroke Road.

Late news arrived via the Rarities Whatsapp where a Pectoral Sandpiper was seen on the Willow Pool at Farlington Marshes, but was seen to fly off strongly with a Snipe. However, it was reported to be back on the Willow Pool a little later on. Could be off to the 'Marsh' tomorrow if it shows up again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two more moths added to year list.

Friday 20th September 2024. A quality moth in the form of a Scarce Bordered Straw. I have only seen a handful of these moths since I have ...