Sunday, September 15, 2024

Blood-vein moth on my year list.

Sunday 15th September 2024.


Blood-vein moth. A stunning moth to my garden.

Yet another clear blue sky overhead as I went about checking my Moth Box this morning at 6.45am. Even through the kitchen window, I could see an Old Lady moth and a few Willow Beauties by the Moth Box, which was encouraging and as Autumn progresses, I should be getting quite a few moths for my year list.


I am lucky to get a Bloxworth Snout in my garden as there is a small population here in Portsmouth.

Among the 62 moths of 23 species, I was fortunate to find another new moth for the year; my first Blood-vein of the year. The moth was actually behind one of my pot plants close by, but it looked like a nice fresh moth too. My second Double-striped Tabby of the year was on one of the egg trays inside the Moth Box. Yesterday’s Dusky Thorn was right at the bottom of my Moth Box and looked a little confused on where it was as I gently released it onto a nearby plant along with all the other moths in my Moth Box.


Only my second Double-striped Tabby of the year.

Other notable moths included another single Bloxworth Snout, two Old Lady moths and a Lunar Underwing. L-album Wainscot moths were in good numbers this morning with up 8 present; my highest number of this species this Autumn.

The moths present this morning included the following:

MACRO MOTHS:

  • Old Lady 2
  • Willow Beauty 5
  • Double-striped Pug 4
  • Lime-speck Pug 2
  • Lunar Underwing
  • Lesser Yellow Underwing 8
  • Large Yellow Underwing 6
  • Setaceous Hebrew Character
  • L-album Wainscot 8
  • Vine’s Rustic
  • Pale Mottled Willow 3
  • Bright-line Brown-eye
  • Blood Vein (New for Year)
  • Square-spot Rustic 6
  • Silver Y
  • Dusky Thorn
  • Bloxworth Snout
MICRO MOTHS:
  • Double-striped Tabby
  • Common Plume 3
  • Rusty-dot Pearl 3
  • Light Brown Apple Moth
  • Ruddy Streak
  • Box-tree Moth

A Chiffchaff was calling again in nearby gardens and overhead, small flocks of Meadow Pipits were heading east. I hope to go off to Farlington Marshes later this morning to meet Geoff down there. Could it be good?


The Dusky Thorn moth getting ready for take off.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...