Friday, July 5, 2024

My first Toadflax Brocade moth.

Friday 5th July 2024.


This is my first ever Toadflax Brocade moth which was totally unexpected in such poor weather this morning.

Despite squally rain showers this morning, especially at 5.30am this morning when I ventured outside to check my moth box, meant that I was in for a soaking on my first shift this morning at Pembroke Road. Grumble! In fact, I only checked the top of the moth box first thing and with just a few moths present that I could see, I did pot one interesting moth that was resting on the rain guard. It actually turned out to be a stunner, my first ever Toadflax Brocade! To be honest, I thought they were bigger than this individual I had this morning, but there was no doubt on its ID. They are a very uncommon moth in Hampshire, but do turn up annually in small numbers.


Two more micro moths climbed onboard my year list this morning including (above) a Dark-spotted Moss Moth and below, Brown Bark Moth.


Two more ‘year-ticks’ were present this morning, both micro moths: Brown Bark Moth and Dark-spotted Moss Moth and my second Blair’s Mocha of the year in my garden (I did have one in Andy’s garden earlier this year). So, just 22 moths of 17 species this morning, but I was more than happy with the Toadflax Brocade; a moth I have been hoping to see one day.


Another Blair's Mocha moth for the year.

The moths recorded this morning included the following:

  • Dark Arches
  • TOADFLAX BROCADE (LIFER)
  • White-point
  • Bright-line Brown-eye 2
  • L-album Wainscot 2
  • Blair’s Mocha
  • Riband Wave
  • Pale Mottled Willow 2
  • Lackey
  • Light Brown Apple Moth
  • Garden Grass-veneer
  • Garden Grey
  • Barred Marble 2
  • Brown Bark Moth (NFY)
  • Dark-spotted Moss-moth (NFY)
  • Apple Leaf Miner
  • Box-tree Moth 2


A regular moth now in my garden, the White-point moth.

On my first shift this morning, there were just 7 bird species seen in the rain and wind, but it did include the usual four species of Gull seen flying overhead: Mediterranean, Great Black-backed, Herring and Black-headed Gulls.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...