Thursday, July 18, 2024

Another 'lifer' moth this morning.

Thursday 18th July 2024.


This Hoary Bell micro moth was a pleasant surprise and a welcome addition to my Moth life list.

A clear, warm night produced a good selection of moths in and around my Moth Box this morning in my back garden, but still the numbers remain fairly low for this time of year. However, despite the low numbers, there was a bit of quality among the moths with my first ever HOARY BELL (Eucosma cana) micro moth this morning. Though relatively a common moth throughout the UK, it has taken around ten years for one to come to my Moth Box at last. Other noteworthy moths included up to 3 Common Emeralds, another Small Ranunculus (I normally only get one annually, but I think I have had three this year already), Least Carpet (3rd one this year) and my second Single-dotted Wave moth of the year. 


My third Small Ranunculus moth of the year.

The moths recorded this morning included the following:

  • Common Emerald 3
  • Willow Beauty 2
  • Common Rustic 2
  • Bright-line Brown-eye 3
  • Common Footman
  • Silver Y 2
  • Riband Wave 2
  • Least Carpet
  • Small Ranunculus
  • Single-dotted Wave
  • Common Plume 5
  • Light Brown Apple Moth 2
  • Ruddy Streak 2
  • HOARY BELL (Eucosma cana) LIFER
  • Brown Bark Moth
  • Rosy Tabby 2
  • Rufous Pearl
  • Black-banded Masoner
  • Bee Moth 


Above, the Caddis Fly, Limnephilus flavicornis and below, a Buff-tailed Bumblebee.

Sometimes, my Moth Box will attract other insects and this morning there was a Buff-tailed Bumblebee and the Caddis Fly, Limnephilus flavicornis. This morning's first shift at Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth produced just the usual bird species with only 12 species seen. It looks as though it is going to be another hot one weatherwise this afternoon; but I am well prepared. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...