Wednesday, July 17, 2024

A Jersey Tiger moth in my garden.

Wednesday 17th July 2024.


I found this Jersey Tiger moth in my back garden this afternoon.

A very warm day produced a surprising number of Moth sightings on my way around Portsmouth around lunchtime. As temperatures got up into the 70’s and probably a lot warmer late afternoon, there was hardly any wind today and even quite a few butterflies were on the wing. My day kicked off with a sighting of my first Garden Rose Tortrix of the year, a smart micro moth though this one lacked the actual round marking on the upperparts and was simply two-tone in colouration and found perched on a glass door window!


Another view of the Jersey Tiger moth.

A Common Plume was also found on a glass door window and where I was working in Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth, I found my first European Corn-borer moth, perched on the wall of a house. Another species of micro moth, I normally get a couple of these in my Moth Box annually, but to see one away from my garden is a big plus. The final Moth of the day was the best of all, a stunning Jersey Tiger! Amazingly, I saw something fly off my Lavender in my back garden and then flew up into a neighbouring tree. I honestly thought it was a butterfly at first as it was quite big in flight and when I found it perched, it was actually a Jersey Tiger moth. I regularly get them in the garden around this time of year and can expect them in or around my Moth Box now.


Emma & Matt Parkes had this female Bee Moth in their house.

Both Red Admiral and Small White butterflies were also in my garden today and several of the latter species were seen while driving around Southsea. Sadly, I did not see anything really of note today regarding the birds seen and only 12 species were seen at Pembroke Road today. Fellow ‘Lazee’ Mark Francis had a Black Tern flying slowly off Hill Head this afternoon and a Spoonbill was seen flying towards Farlington Marshes today. Early today (around 6.30am), I took my dogs for their early morning walk and passing Highland Road Cemetery, a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over and headed straight for the Cemetery. A good start to the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...