Thursday, June 27, 2024

Much better haul of moths today.

Thursday 27th June 2024.


Only my second ever Bordered Sallow moth this morning.

Finally, we had a Moth Box worth getting up at 5am for! A large haul of 84 moths of 35 species were recorded this morning that included FOURTEEN that were new for the year. It was difficult to pick out the best of the moths but I think Bordered Sallow was probably the best, seeing it was only my second ever of this species I have actually seen. Least Carpet and an early Rufous Pearl came a close second; both quite a scarce moth and the latter is more commonly seen in Autumn rather than early Summer. Double-striped Tabby is near annual to my garden, but always just the one or rarely two here. The most numerous were the Riband Waves of both guises with at least 11 individuals seen though I am sure some flew off before they could be recorded as did a few other moths. There was no sign of the House Sparrows this morning, so they must be a better food source somewhere else.


Above, Least Carpet and below, Rufous Pearl.



Above, Elderberry Pearl and below, Double-striped Tabby.

While checking the Moth Box, I heard the distinctive call of a Sandwich Tern overhead and was not surprised to see a pair heading eastbound high over Southsea, heading towards Langstone Harbour no doubt. This was a ‘garden tick’ for me, which now stands at 67 species seen from my garden.

  • Bordered Sallow (NEW FOR YEAR)
  • Common Pug 4
  • Common Emerald 3 (NFY)
  • Riband Wave 11
  • Bright-line Brown-eye 3
  • Garden Carpet 3
  • Heart & Dart
  • White Ermine 3
  • Brimstone Moth
  • Dark Arches 2
  • Lime-speck Pug 7
  • Double-striped Pug
  • Treble Brown Spot (NFY)
  • Willow Beauty 9
  • White-point
  • Least Carpet (NFY)
  • White-shouldered House Moth
  • Common Plume 3
  • Elderberry Pearl (NFY)
  • Rufous Pearl (NFY)
  • Double-striped Tabby (NFY)
  • Garden Grey (NFY)
  • Bud Moth (NFY)
  • Rosy Tabby (NFY)
  • Codling Moth (NFY)
  • Chestnut Tortrix
  • Large Pale Masoner
  • Blushed Knot-horn
  • Rufous Tortrix (NFY)
  • Copper-fringed Drab (NFY)
  • Garden Grass-veneer 7
  • Barred Marble 3
  • Brown House Moth 2
  • Bird-cherry Ermine (NFY)
  • Ruddy Streak 2


Treble Brown Spot moth.

Pembroke Road, Old Portsmouth:

This morning, there were 12 species seen today in Pembroke Road on my first shift of which all the usual birds were present. A few Swifts flew high over and a male Sparrowhawk flew low over the road and into the garden on the house opposite where I was working. It is the first time I have seen this species here for a few weeks. Yesterday, there were 14 species noted here and it included the unusual sighting of a Great Spotted Woodpecker in the trees by the main road. I have heard them ‘drumming’ in the gardens behind Pembroke Close in the Spring; but this is the first time I have seen one here this year. The ‘Flying Ants’ were out early yesterday morning as a large gathering of mixed Gulls were circling overhead feasting on the Ants. Yesterday was recorded as the hottest day of the year and as I passed Southsea beach, I could see it was packed. I checked the ground temperature by putting my hand on the pavement and it was certainly very warm and yet, still idiots still take their dogs walking in this heat during the day! Last night, while I switched the Moth Box on, at least three Pipistrelle Bats (?) were hawking for insects up and down the gardens again.


Nightjars over Creech Wood, Denmead, last night. Film footage by Andy Friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...