Sunday, June 2, 2024

Large Yellow Underwing & a Reed Warbler.

Sunday 2nd June 2024.


My first Large Yellow Underwing of the year.

Up early again this morning (my bloody noisy dogs!!!!) as I went downstairs to not only sort the dogs out, but also to check up on my moth box, which I had on again overnight. Now there seems to be more moths coming through, I just had to try my luck again. Among the many moths present, which included 38 moths of 23 species, there were two species that were new for the year: a Large Yellow Underwing and the tiny micro moth Apple Leaf Miner. 

The moths present this morning included the following:

  • Angle Shades
  • Lime-speck Pug 2
  • Bright-line Brown-eye
  • Common Marbled Carpet
  • White Ermine 3
  • Willow Beauty 3
  • Oak -tree Pug
  • Buff Ermine 2
  • Common Pug 2
  • Heart & Dart
  • Large Yellow Underwing (New for Year)
  • Garden Carpet 3
  • Pale Mottled Willow 2
  • Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • Dark Arches
  • White-point
  • White-shouldered House Moth
  • Apple Leaf Miner (NFY)
  • Light Brown Apple Moth 2 
  • Blushed Knot-horn 4
  • Ruddy Streak 2
  • Garden Pebble
  • Garden Mompha

Later in the morning, I heard a Reed Warbler singing deep within cover of my neighbours garden, but I eventually got to see the bird sitting in the Holly Tree in my other neighbours garden, though I couldn't get a photo of the bird. Whether it was a late migrant bird or a bird simply making its way back home, who knows; however, this is the second time I have had a Reed Warbler singing at the back of my garden at this time of the year. The last time was only a few years ago.

This evening, while enjoying a well-earned ice lolly in the back garden after watering the plants, I settled down to watch the Swifts overhead. It just so happened that the Reed Warbler singing earlier was still throwing out a few notes now and then and I even saw it well in our neighbours Holly tree. A little earlier, an L-album Wainscot moth, my first of the year, flew around our kitchen and promptly disappeared. While watering the garden, another first for the year, a female Bee Moth flew up from one of the plant pots and landed on the wall by the Moth Box.  









No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...