Tuesday, June 4, 2024

A very scarce moth graces my Moth Box.

Wednesday 5th June 2024.


The micro moth, Small Fruit Moth, was only my second ever of this scarce species.

Up at the crack of dawn this morning, after seeing those House Sparrows near my moth box the other morning, I dragged myself down to the moth box at 4.45am! There were just two moths this morning that were new for the year, with two Riband Waves and the micro moth, Small Fruit Moth (Grapholita lobarzewskii). The latter is a scarce moth in the UK, especially in Hampshire and I was pleased to get only my second one of this species in my moth box. My second L-album Wainscot of the year was in the moth box this time, after having one in my kitchen last week. There were 40 moths of 18 species present today.

  • Riband Wave 2 (New for Year)
  • Common Marbled Carpet 2
  • Willow Beauty 5
  • Garden Carpet
  • Lime-speck Pug
  • White-point
  • Pale Mottled Willow 6
  • Dark Arches 2
  • L-album Wainscot
  • Vine’s Rustic 5
  • Heart & Dart 4
  • White Ermine 3
  • Shuttle-shaped Dart 2
  • Large Yellow Underwing
  • Buff Ermine 1
  • Light Brown Apple Moth
  • Box-tree Moth
  • Small Fruit Moth (NFY)


Two Riband Wave moths were also new for the year. A very common moth to my garden, but always nice to see.

Last night, while walking the dogs just after 9pm, I noticed at least one Swift returning to one of the Swift nestboxes, in fact, one of the older boxes that had been up for a few years; this one above my neighbours house. I could hear another Swift within the moth box greeting its partner. Hopefully, many more will be doing the same thing in the near future, for they have plenty of boxes to choose from!


The scourge of many gardeners, the Box-tree Moth has returned again and they do come back in huge numbers. Will they be this year?

Yesterday, the big bird news in Hampshire was the discovery of a cracking male Red-backed Shrike at Manor Farm Country Park, Bursledon, Southampton. The bird remained faithful to the site throughout the day after its discovery, allowing many to add this beautiful bird to their year list. Lucky buggers!


Above and below, the male Red-backed Shrike seen yesterday. Photos by Rob Porter.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...