Saturday, May 18, 2024

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024


The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year.

I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though this time not on a ‘twitch’ to see a bird. I thought I would get up at dawn to check my moth box I had overnight, for I am sure I miss a few moths that just might have flown should I have got up later? Another two new species for the year were added to my year list, both ‘micro’ moths and a selection of others that are starting to get regular now. Last night, around 10.30pm, I went out to check the moth box and above me, a probable Pipestrelle Bat was hunting in and over my garden throughout the ten minutes I was there. I was so still last night that I could hear the Bats' wings fluttering past as my Moth Box light lit up the underside of the Bat. Simply amazing. 


Above, the micro moth Garden Mompha and below, my second Marbled Minor moth of the year.

The Moth Box:

As mentioned, another species was added to my year list, Mallow Seed Moth (Platyedra subcinerea), a species again that is regular in my garden. A total of 27 moths of 14 species were recorded this morning and though nothing else was new for the year, a nice selection nonetheless. 


Above, a Pale Mottled Willow and below, one of 8 Willow Beauties this morning.

The moths recorded in and around my Moth Box this morning included the following:

  • Garden Carpet
  • Lime-speck Pug 4
  • Willow Beauty 8
  • Brimstone Moth
  • Marbled Minor
  • Pale Mottled Willow
  • Ruddy Streak 3
  • Light Brown Apple Moth
  • White-shouldered House Moth
  • Mallow Seed Moth (New for Year)
  • Garden Mompha
  • Blushed Knot-horn
  • Rusty-dot Pearl
  • Light Brown Apple Moth 2


Above, a lot of Spiderlings crawling on top of my white sheet and below, the Green-fanged Tube-web Spider.

After checking the moths, I relaxed in my garden with a hot cup of coffee and watched the Swifts overhead circling in the blue sky. At least a dozen birds were seen including a few birds chasing one another low over the house. A pair of House Sparrows were mating in my neighbours Holly Tree, producing the next lot of offspring while both the dogs and myself looked on. Along with the moths, my moth box always attracts other insects and this morning I found a Short-tailed Ichneumon Wasp on one of the egg trays and near the box, a Green-fanged Tube-web Spider was poking its legs out of one of the fence panels (what a gruesome name for a spider!). There were at least 30+ Spiderlings on the top of my white sheet behind the Moth Box as well to add to my little Spider collection! 


A Short-tailed Ichneumon Wasp was also in the Moth Box.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...