Monday, May 20, 2024

Little Owl at South Boarhunt.

Monday 20th May 2024.


The Little Owl finally came out of hiding and showed well in the farm.

Tonight, being such a clear and still evening, I thought I would take a trip to Manor Farm at South Boarhunt for the Little Owl and after ‘dipping’ on the bird earlier in the year and birding pal Andy Fisher catching up with the bird last week,it was time for me to try my luck again. Yes, the weather was good and so leaving my house at around 8pm, I arrived around 8.30pm within the car park by St. Nicholas Church overlooking Manor Farm and then played the waiting game for the next 30 minutes.


Above, one of a pair of Red-legged Partridges that showed well during the time I was there and below, a view of the countryside adjacent to Manor Farm.

In that time, a pair of Red-legged Partridges entertained as they explored the farm and the neighbouring area and made all sorts of noises. A Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over as did a male Kestrel low over my head and within the farm, a pair of Stock Doves were seen flying in and out of a tall Conifer. A Yellowhammer was heard singing somewhere in the distance and even a Tawny Owl called a couple of times from the trees somewhere behind me. Sadly, a no show from this bird.


Above, this Mayfly was my first for the year, but I did not expect one to be here. Below, another photo of the Little Owl within the farm.

As the light faded, I eventually saw the Little Owl fly across and land in a small tree and after five minutes or so, it flew across and landed on a shed roof and remained there for the next 15 minutes. I watched the bird checking out the area, spinning its head left and right to check out anything that might look like a nice meal. Patience paid off and a fine bird to climb aboard my year list. A Mayfly was buzzing around my car and settled a couple of times on the windscreen while I was waiting for the Owl.     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Smaller numbers of moths this morning.

Wednesday 18th September 2024. The Moth Box: Blair's Mocha moths are on the increase in numbers in my garden this year. It was back to t...