Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Quiet in the Cemy again.

Tuesday 9th April 2024.



This Jay was probably the most exciting find in the Cemetery this afternoon on what was a quiet afternoon on my 'local patch'.

I took another walk around Highland Road Cemetery this afternoon with the dogs and though it was sunny and bright, there was a strong southerly wind blowing and sightings of any unusual birds was lacking today. In fact, the bird of the hour was a Jay and I didn't see that until I was making my way out of the Cemetery. There has been talk of Farlington Marshes being flooded in areas and I have not only seen some of the photos on various media sites, but driving past the Marshes this morning, I could see by the Info Building a huge lake around it!! Very high tides were predicted today and with the strong onshore winds, there will be significant flooding in the area I expect.


Above, yes, it was that windy! This male Blackbird was being blown about by the wind in the Cemetery and below, one of a good number of Goldfinches again this afternoon.



There was a variety of plants on show that took my eye including (above) my first Spear Thistle of the year and below, Sticky Mouse-ear.

Just 14 bird species were noted in windy conditions within the Cemetery this afternoon, well down in species normally seen around this time of year. Yes, the windy conditions did not help, but no sign of any migrants whatsoever. The regular flock of Goldfinches (around a dozen or so) were flitting about in the small trees near the Mausoleum and a male Greenfinch ‘wheezed’ in one of the trees nearby. The Jay was probably the ‘saving grace’ in sightings this afternoon and showed well perched on one of the Holm Oak trees.

I kept an eye on the plants around the Cemetery that included my first Sticky Mouse-ear of the year, with several clumps dotted around the graves and more Herb Robert flowering in various areas of the Cemetery. I even found my first Spear Thistle of the year as well. There were plenty of Bees around the grave that is covered with flowering Heather over on the east side, but they simply would not stay still long enough to grab a photo! Though a few Buff-tailed Bumblebees were notable. Yet again, no Butterflies at all were seen despite the sunny conditions.


Herb Robert plants were in flower throughout the Cemetery. Below, Red Dead-nettle surrounded by Daisies.



The birds recorded in the Cemetery this afternoon included the following:

  • Herring Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Jay
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • Starling
  • House Sparrow
  • Goldfinch
  • Greenfinch
  • Blackbird

In Hampshire today, a Hoopoe was found behind the Eastleigh Lakeside Steam Railway building (see below), which will be a very good Hampshire ‘tick’ for those going for it. Two Little Gulls were on Posbrook Floods and good numbers of Hirundines were present too. A Leach's Petrel flew west past Selsey Bill, West Sussex, this morning.


I saw this superb photo on Facebook this afternoon of a pair of Sand Martins at Blashford Lakes and I had to ask to add it to my blog. Photo by Yvonne Williams.




Above, the Hoopoe behind the Eastleigh Steam Railway building. Both Matt and Emma Parkes rushed over after work to view this superb bird. Photos by Emma Parkes.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Probable Bee-eater heard over Old Portsmouth this morning!

Friday 17th May 2024. A distant Common Buzzard flying high over Southsea this morning. I took this photo while in the Cemetery. What could ...