Sunday, April 7, 2024

Alpine Swift over Southbourne.

Sunday 7th April 2024.


The Alpine Swift briefly graced this very sky in the car park of the Farm Shop at Southbourne.

I had the chance this morning to do some ‘sea-watching’ at Gilkicker Point with my fellow ‘Lazee’s’ this morning, but I was too tired from yesterday's birding (even went to bed early!) and after doing my notes on my blog early this morning, I planned a trip out to Southbourne Farm Shop for both my wife and myself. She has been working far too hard lately and to spend another day working, I simply wouldn't have it. So I took her to one of her favourite places to shop.


Jackdaws perched on the Highland Cattle by the Farm Shop. Below, Geoff and Andy searching for Stone-curlews yesterday in the north-west of the County.

Yes, I missed a Great Skua passing through the Solent this morning, but what I did see, well, I am still pinching myself that I actually saw it! Within the car park of the Farm Shop, there was a kiosk selling coffee and cake and so I suggested to my wife that after our shop, let's have a relaxing coffee by the Highland Cattle field. While sitting in the sunshine, enjoying a nice coffee and a slice of cake, I pointed out Becky’s first Swallow of the year that flew just over our heads. A pair of Med Gulls flew overhead as did a Linnet and several Goldinches and a Chiffchaff was singing in the bushes behind us. Jackdaws were searching the rough ground within the Cattle field and a couple of Jackdaws were actually sitting on the Cows! Then, I saw it; a large Swift flying high up and then, thankfully, it flew towards us and I could clearly see the full plumage of pale underparts and a broad brown breast band and for now, I was absolutely sure I was looking at an Alpine Swift. One was seen earlier today flying over Mill Rythe on Hayling Island and the odds are that it was this bird I was actually seeing. No, I had no binoculars on me, let alone a camera, but there was no mistaking that this was indeed an Alpine Swift as I watched the bird circle a few times and then head off north-west over the village and out of sight. I quickly put out the info on both Lazee's Whatsapp site and also Birdguides. I do hope the bird hangs around for others to enjoy.  


The Cemetery looks rather smart in the early evening sunshine and below, this Chestnut tree is now full of leaves. The flowering 'spikes' should be coming soon. Gorgeous.



Above, this Robin was in full song along the footpath and below, this female Blackbird took no notice as we walked on by.



One of many male Blackbirds this evening.

Highland Road Cemetery, Southsea:

I took the dogs for an early evening walk around Highland Road Cemetery and now that the Cemetery closes at 7pm, I had a good hour to check out the area. On the migrant front, there were at least two Chiffchaffs heard calling deep within cover, but they remained hidden in the vegetation, so no photo opportunities. It's surprising how showy the Blackbirds are with one female bird searching for food in the leaf litter as we passed just a few feet away from the bird; even with the dogs leading my way too! There were plenty of Robins, Blackbirds and Wrens singing in the early evening sunshine, but nothing really else of note regarding the birdlife. Another clump of Green Alkanet was discovered and more Herb Robert flowers were in bloom as I record all the nature I come across here. Half the Cemetery has been mown now and I expect the other half will be worked on by the Council tomorrow. Birding pal, Geoff Farwell, was birding at Queen Elizabeth Forest, just south of Petersfield today and recorded the following birds: 20 singing Firecrest, 3 Brambling, 3 Marsh Tit, 7 Chiffchaff, Blackcap, 19 Siskins, 2 Common Buzzard and 2 Grey Wagtails.


A White-tailed Eagle at Pulborough Brooks today. Photo by Emma Parkes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Probable Bee-eater heard over Old Portsmouth this morning!

Friday 17th May 2024. A distant Common Buzzard flying high over Southsea this morning. I took this photo while in the Cemetery. What could ...