Friday, December 15, 2023

Day record smashed at Pembroke Road.

Friday 15th December 2023.


Sunrise over the Solent this morning from Southsea beach.

There was a stunning sunrise this morning over Southsea and so before I started my first shift, I went and took a few photos using my mobile phone over the sunrise over the Solent. This morning, I had a total of 16 species for the hour I was there and best of the lot was the Fieldfare flying over with three Redwing in attendance. I had seen a couple of Redwing earlier when I got out of the car, within the trees behind Pembroke Close; then these four birds flew over and headed off north-west over the rooftops. 18 species is my record count here at Pembroke Road and it was nearly equalled yesterday when I had 17 species in all on both shifts.


Above and below, there were multiple sightings of Jays in the Cemetery this morning. 

Though chilly this morning, it was not too bad and with no wind, I was rather finding it enjoyable. When I got home, after a few chores, I took the dogs over to Highland Road Cemetery again. Finally, some work is being done on the small house by the entrance to the Cemetery, though Tree Surgeons were making a lot of racket in the garden, cutting down Buddleia and Brambles. On top of this, there was a Council worker spraying the graves with weedkiller, which I always disapprove of. 


Above, there were plenty of Wood Pigeons in the trees this morning and below, good numbers of Blue Tits were abundant as well.

Sadly, not a great deal to be seen in the Cemetery today, with only 15 species of note during my hour there. Up to two Jays showed well all morning; either flying over or perching in nearby trees. Nothing exciting flew overhead and all I can say is that there seemed to be a lot of Blue Tits flying around this morning. Some of the ‘Lazee’s’ were about and about this morning and from Sandy Point, up to four Great Northern Divers could be seen. Over at the Oyster Beds, the Long-tailed Duck was back on its usual pool and out in the harbour, up to SEVEN Great Northern Divers were counted as well as a Common Scoter and 4 Black-necked Grebes, all seen on a very calm still water. A drake Scaup is spending a second day on Butts Lagoon, Pennington Marshes.


Above, there were several 'ticking' Robins heard today including this close bird by the main footpath and below, yet another photo of one of the Jays.

I had an email this morning from the Hampshire Swifts website to give an update on how well the Swifts done this year in Southsea. Dave Warner (though I am not sure where he actually lives) had 12 boxes on his house and the birds there fledged 28 young, including 6 pairs that had 3 young each. I personally have four boxes up and also one opposite where I live and all successfully raised young including one box that had two broods. On my second shift this afternoon at Pembroke Road, I smashed by day record for this site by two species with the added species: Sparrowhawk (female), Great Tit and a Cormorant; making it 20 species for the day. A staggering 300+ Red-throated Divers went past Selsey Bill today along with other goodies including both Great Northern and Black-throated Divers, Velvet Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Red-necked Grebe and even a Fulmar!  


The drake Scaup on Pennington Marshes. Photo by Andy Tew.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...