Monday, December 11, 2023

A good selection on birds this morning.

Monday 11 December 2023.


A small selection of Thrushes were over the Cemetery this morning including this Redwing.

Considering it is a work day, it actually was quite good for birds this morning and despite a horrible cold westerly wind blowing down the road I was working on my first shift, I had sightings of both a male Peregrine and a male Sparrowhawk flying overhead. Also, two Redwing flew over and headed north-west, which is always a bonus. A total of 16 species was seen this morning, that again included the Jay, which popped itself on the fence by the Bowling Green. I have to say that I was glad that shift finished as I was getting quite cold, despite being well wrapped up.


Above, this Song Thrush was in with the other thrushes in the old Yew Tree and neighbouring tree.


Above and below, this Redwing showed very well in the sunshine.

When I got back, I had a quick cup of coffee to warm myself up and then grabbed the dogs' leads and took them for their usual stroll around Highland Road Cemetery. Things livened up there when I got to the south-east corner when I heard a Redwing calling somewhere in the Conifer above. Eventually, I managed to pick out the bird which was joined by a second individual. It is always special to get these birds in the Cemetery and I was blessed with the sunny weather in getting some lovely photos of the birds. Also joining them was a Song Thrush and a Blackbird all in the same tree!


Above and below, this Redwing posed nicely for me.



This Honey Fungus was on its way out. But they do grow to a fair size.

Another notable bird here is the Great Spotted Woodpecker for normally its the Green Woodpecker that is normally present here, but that species was a ‘no-show’ this morning and so when I heard a bird somewhere near the trees by the Mausoleum, I soon picked it out high up on the bough of a Chestnut tree. I heard the bird again a little later by the Mausoleum and looking up, I was pleased to actually see two birds together, a pair, and even managed to grab a few photos of both of the birds in one shot, which I think is a first for me. The birds then busied themselves looking for prey around the small trees here as I left them in peace and moved on around the Cemetery. The Jay was seen again, this time with a leaf in its claw and studying it hard (see photo)! A pair of Jays were seen a little later flying across the Cemetery.


Above, my first sighting of the Great Spotted Woodpecker this morning in the Cemetery was a distant one.



I was surprised that TWO Great Spotted Woodpeckers were seen here. I heard one calling nearby and quite faintly too and then looked up to see a pair of the birds feeding together close to one another.

There were no new Fungi present this morning and the large clump of Honey Fungus over in the south-east corner was now overripe. No insects were seen either despite checking the Ivy bushes, but a few plants were still in flower that included Yarrow and Smooth Sow-thistle. A nice brisk walk this morning and not so windy here in the Cemetery, thankfully! Yesterday, as I was returning from walking the dogs around the block at dusk, a large flock of Brent Geese flew over my house heading east, calling in doing so. It reminded me of when Becky and I stayed in Norfolk and the Pink-feet Geese would do exactly the same. Birding pal Geoff Farwell took a trip yesterday to Brockwood Copse, near West Meon in the afternoon and had the following sightings: 6 Common Buzzard, 2 Red Kite, 3 Marsh Tit, 25 Redwing, 12 Siskin and a minimum of 30 Lesser Redpolls. He also had a pre-roost of 28 Red Kites circling over Rooksgrove Farm! 


The Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

The following birds were noted in or over the Cemetery this morning:

  • Herring Gull
  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Jay (2)
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Blackbird
  • Song Thrush (2)
  • Redwing (2)
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Goldcrest
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker (pair)
  • Wren
  • Robin
  • Goldfinch


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...