Friday, October 27, 2023

My year record of species in the Cemy this morning.

Friday 27th October 2023.


When the leaves are turning golden, there is nothing more heart-warming in being out on a sunny Autumn morning. The Cemetery was bursting with colour today.

I was seriously considering going over to Farlington Marshes this morning, but the heavy rain outside at 6am put me right off that idea and what with a ‘Delhi Belly’ still, I simply could not take that gamble. My wait to see a Short-eared Owl this year will have to go on. Sob! However, I was much happier with the weather as the morning wore on and so took the dogs over to Highland Road Cemetery instead. Who knows? Something good could be present?


Above, the walk started well over the Cemetery with a Skylark flying south over my local patch. Below, I was in for another surprise when a flock of Long-tailed Tits, my first of the season, were found on the west side of the Cemetery.



Above, one of the two Chiffchaffs found among the Long-tailed Tits showed well and below, there were two Redwing hidden in the treetops near the centre of the Cemetery.

A very good total of 27 species were seen or heard this morning, the highest so far this year, with a mixture of both summer and winter birds in the mix among them. The male Blackcap was a very nice surprise when I first heard it ‘chacking’ nearby and then discovering it perched right out in the open on a small exposed bush. I was so glad it hung around for me to grab a few photos of it. The Long-tailed Tits were also a nice surprise. They do turn up annually here though I rarely see them and this particular flock held at least two Chiffchaff roaming the trees and bushes with them. At least a dozen of these attractive little long-tailed birds were present.


This male Sparrowhawk scared the local Pigeons as he effortlessly flew through the Cemetery and then off south towards the coast.



Above, an immature Blackbird or possibly an immigrant Blackbird searching for food around one of the graves and below, a Jay hiding among the Autumnal leaves.

Overhead, singles of both Skylark and Linnet flew over, but only the former was seen heading south high overhead. Thankfully, my hearing is still sound as I managed to locate the bird by its call. The male Sparrowhawk showed well again today, flying low over the Cemetery and scattering the large number of Wood Pigeons that had gathered up in the treetops. Redwing could be heard when I reached the southern half of the Cemetery and eventually, they gave themselves up high up in the trees with the Pigeons. They did fly from one tree to another, but I was on the phone at the time and so missed the opportunity for a decent photo. Grumble!


Above, an adult Blackbird popped up close to the footpath and below, this male Blackcap was a nice surprise too.



Above, the Long-tailed Tits eventually made their way to the east side of the Cemetery and some even above my head and below, this Red Admiral was the only one seen today. 

There was no sign of the Green Woodpeckers today, but the Great Spotted Woodpecker popped in again, perching high in one of the trees near the north end of the Cemy. Other wildlife  I noticed today included the sightings of a few butterflies. Just singles of Red Admiral and Speckled Wood were seen and even the Bees on the Ivy Plants have decreased, though plenty of Common Wasps and a few Drone Flies on the wing.


Above, another photo of the vocal male Blackcap and below, the only Speckled Wood butterfly seen this morning in the Cemetery.



Above, I took my dog brush mitten with me today to give our Ted a good brush and this was the result! I could not believe how much came off him. Below, toadstools and other fungi are starting to appear now including what I think is Honey Fungus coming through.

With all this rain of late, the grass was very much saturated and with the forecast looking very showery today and over the weekend, I might be birding close to anywhere with Hides this weekend. The damp grass brings out the Toadstools and there were a few on show today. But naming them is a whole new ball game and though I have a Toadstool ID App on my phone, I do like to put it out to the experts to ID. Still, I do love Toadstools and Fungi and find them absolutely fascinating (sorry Mr Fisher!) and at this time of year, there are plenty to look at.  


Fungi is on the increase, especially due to the wet conditions of late and above, I believe the beginnings of Field Mushroom. Below, I think this is the start of Honey Fungus, which is a variable species in shape and colour. 



Above, Honey Fungus growing in the centre of the Cemetery and below, I found this Rusty-dot Pearl moth on the front of someones house in Highland Road, close to the Cemetery. They are immigrant moths from the Continent and are quite numerous this time of year.

The following birds were noted this morning:

  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • House Sparrow
  • Starling
  • Wren
  • Robin
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Long-tailed Tit (12)
  • Chiffchaff
  • Blackcap (male)
  • Goldcrest  
  • Goldfinch
  • Linnet
  • Greenfinch
  • Skylark
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Jay (2)
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Blackbird
  • Redwing (2)
  • Sparrowhawk (female)


Away from the Highland Road Cemetery, this adult White-tailed Eagle was one of two showing well at Inchmary, near Lepe Country Park. Photo by Andy Dickety. Below, the dashing immature Merlin was still showing well in someones garden close to the main entrance of Titchfield Haven this morning. Photo by Emma Parkes.



Above, the same Merlin by Titchfield Haven. Film footage by Mark Francis.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...