Tuesday, October 3, 2023

An afternoon walk produced some nice sightings.

Tuesday 3rd October 2023.


Some of this morning's moths.

It was most certainly a bit chilly this morning although there is talk of the temperatures rising considerably again this week. At least it was dry, the complete opposite of what our weather forecast said it would be this morning and currently bright sunshine as I write. I had the moth box on overnight and it was pretty much the same as the last few times, although an October Clancy’s Rustic was handy. But the mornings numbers were dominated by Light Brown Apple Moths with at least 14 counted. The following moths were present this morning: 

  • 1 Clancy’s Rustic
  • 2 L-album Wainscot
  • 1 Large Yellow Underwing
  • 1 Lesser Yellow Underwing
  • 3 Feathered Ranunculus
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 2 Box Tree Moth
  • 14 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 3 Ruddy Streak

Overhead, while checking the moth box, ‘Visible Migration’ involved at least 4 ‘alba’ Wagtails and a Siskin, but neither species could be seen for being too high up. However, a lone Meadow Pipit heading south, I did see!


Looking north from the south-east corner of the Cemetery.

On my first shift this morning at Pembroke Road, again there was a small movement of Meadow Pipits heading south and a Goldcrest was calling from the trees on the opposite side of the road. A pair of Peregrines flew west high overhead, but disappeared quickly in the direction of Portsmouth Harbour. They had me confused at first, for they were flying away from me, but I came to the conclusion that they were indeed Peregrines.


Above, a pair of Swallows were virtually the first birds I saw when I entered the Cemetery this afternoon including this individual. Below, the male Sparrowhawk circled around the east side, showing very well.

Earlier today, I awoke with a pain in my lower back and it gradually got worse. Therefore, I postponed my morning walk with the dogs and instead, went after my second shift to Highland Road Cemetery. Though the back was a little better, I also was suffering from tendon trouble on my right hand and taking photos with my camera was a bit of a painful challenge! There was at least a nice variety of birds within the Cemetery after 4pm and even plenty of insects to look at that included many Red Admiral butterflies on the wing and enjoying the flowering Ivy bushes.


Above, again, the male Sparrowhawk soaring overhead and below, countless Batman Hoverflies were feasting on the flowering Ivy plants.

There was as mentioned before, a good variety of birds during my hour here this afternoon with up to 20 species present today. This included, for a change, a male bird that was seen in the south-east corner looking north and showed very well in the bright sunshine. A pair of Great Black-backed Gulls graced the rooftops over on the east side, a species not often seen here and the Jay put in an appearance in the small tree by the Mausoleum; though I have to say, I did like the photos I took of the bird. 


Above, Ivy Mason Bee's were also abundant alongside Drone Flies, Common Wasps and below, Red Admiral butterflies. I would like to add, virtually all the Ivy bushes (and there are a lot of them) were smothered in insects. Great stuff.

Migrants this afternoon included a pair of Swallows that flew overhead, calling, as they headed off west towards Albert Road. A few Chiffchaffs were seen, though a lot more heard and finally, the male Blackcap eventually showed well on a small bush and I was lucky enough to grab a photo of the actual bird. I do love Blackcaps, my favourite Warbler, and have not seen enough of them this year.   

  • Sparrowhawk (male)
  • Herring Gull
  • Great Black-backed Gull (2)
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Jay
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Goldcrest
  • Chiffchaff
  • Blackcap (male)
  • Blackbird
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • Starling
  • Swallow
  • Goldfinch


Above, the Horse Chestnut leaves are now on the verge of falling and carpeting the pathway below. Below, one of the pair of Great Black-backed Gulls on the rooftop over on the east side.

It was fairly quiet in Hampshire today, with no sign of any Grey Phalaropes, though a Garganey and a Great White Egret were on Titchfield Haven. Two Ospreys were seen over at Inchmery, while over at Selsey, in West Sussex, there was a report of a Wryneck in a private garden; a species that has been very scarce this Autumn. Below, a few more of my photos taken today in or near Highland Road Cemetery.


Above, a male Blackcap perched on top of this bush. Below, a male Blackcap near the Mausoleum.



Above, this Goldcrest flew off before I could get a good photo of the bird, below, three photos of the beautiful Jay, also in the trees near the Mausoleum. 





Above, this Angle Shades moth was found on someones house as I walked back down Highland Road to head home with the dogs.













 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...