Monday, September 4, 2023

Rather quiet within the Cemy again.

Monday 4th September 2023.


Another glorious weather day while I was walking the dogs within the Cemetery and more tomorrow it seems.

It was very quiet around Highland Road Cemetery this morning, though I probably left it a little late at 11am to catch any early migrants. A Chiffchaff was heard only and a lone Swallow flew low over the Cemy, but too quick for me to grab a photo. My first Greenfinch for at least a week flew high over heading west, but no sign of any Woodpeckers or the Sparrowhawk this morning.


Above, a Honey Bee enjoying the few flowering Buddliea plants. Below, the two most common Corvids in the Cemy. The Carrion Crow has a lot of white pigmentation on its wings. 



I got this plant identified by birding pal Geoff Farwell as an Annual Wall-rocket.

Birds recorded in the Cemy this morning included the following:
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Swallow
  • Greenfinch
  • Blue Tit
  • Goldfinch
  • Herring Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • House Sparrow
  • Blackbird
  • Robin
  • Chiffchaff

It was another glorious day, with a clear blue sky and temperatures getting up to the mid 70’s; but at least it brought out the insects to look at. 14 species of birds were recorded (see below) and regarding the insects, Honey Bees enjoyed the remaining flowering Buddleia and butterflies included Small White, Large White, Holly Blue and a couple of Red Admirals.


Above, there are still Holly Blue butterflies in the Cemy and below, I found one Scarlet Pimpernel plant one of the graves.

I was always checking the plants growing around the graves, checking for anything different and I found a Scarlet Pimpernel plant growing on one of them. I also found a few Herb Bennet plants and also a species that I am my birding pal Geoff Farwell to ID later tonight. Hampshire was relatively quiet today, though a lot of migrant passerines were seen at various sites. The Osprey was again perched on the dead tree on North Binness Island in Langstone Harbour. Birding pal Geoff Farwell went to Farlington Marshes again yesterday and recorded the following: 2 Ospreys, 2 Cattle Egret, Little Stint, 2 Common Sandpiper, 3 Ruff, 40 Greenshank, Whimbrel, Sparrowhawk, 2 Whitethroat, 2 Whinchat and 2 Wheatears.

Below, I have added some nice photos taken over the weekend and a few sent to me from friends.  


This Raft Spider was seen on Arne RSPB Reserve. Photo by Emma Parkes. 


This Yellow Shell moth was photographed at The Oaks Crematorium today. Photo by Paula Slape.


Above, a Knot was flying around Pennington Marshes over the weekend. Photo by Christine Whiffen. Below, a quick look at my moth box tonight and there were at least two Old Lady moths present plus two Box Tree Moths and a Small Dusty Wave. I think it is going to be quite humid tonight, so hopefully a good selection of moths tomorrow morning. Also in the garden, I can hear at least two Great Green Bush Crickets calling somewhere in the vegetation, but out of view. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...