Friday, September 8, 2023

A few more migrants in the Cemy.

Friday 8th September 2023.


Looking very Autumnal in the Cemy with these Horse Chestnut leaves and fruit on show.

I don't think it is as hot as yesterday, but still quite warm with hardly any wind this morning as I took my dogs around Highland Road Cemetery around 9am this morning. Earlier today, I could hear a few Yellow Wagtails flying high overhead, but I could not pick them up visually. I did not have the moth box on overnight for I did not want to trap the same moths again and so it will be going on tonight instead.


Above, a Hornet-mimic Hoverfly nectaring on the Ivy and below, one of many Drone Flies also enjoying the Ivy.

Migration is now fully underway and I was hoping a few migrants would be in the Cemetery and this morning, I was rewarded with both a couple of Chiffchaffs and the first Blackcap of the Autumn at this site. However, the Blackcap was heard only and as I did not have my binoculars with me, I recognised the bird by call alone. I am pretty sure I saw the said bird as a warbler species flew east over the Cemy and landed in a bush further to the south east.


Above, the familiar sight of Magpies and below, Starlings going into their spotty Autumn plumage.

The Great Spotted Woodpecker was again seen briefly, flying up into trees north of the Cemy and then heard calling later during my walk. Jays have been missing for a while now and so seeing one high up in a tree preening was a welcome bonus and later, two birds were seen flying from tree to tree. Most of the regular birds were present and correct, but no sign of the Sparrowhawk this morning.


Above, the Collared Doves are being seen often now. They seemed to have disappeared in the summer, but are now making a welcome return. Below, flowering Ribwort Plantain within the Cemy over on the east side.

Regarding insects, I found a Hornet-mimic Hoverfly nectaring on a large Ivy Plant along with many smaller Drone Flies. I regularly see this species here on these plants that are now flowering and giving off a heady scent to attract the Bees etc. Butterflies this morning included the usual Red Admiral, Small White and Holly Blue. A Vapourer Moth was seen spiralling across the Cemetery at the northern end. I am always noting down any unusual plants and I would take a photo and put it on the UK Wild Flowers Facebook page for the experts to have a go identifying it and now I am also using Geoff Farwell to ID my plants as well. However, one species I found growing along one of the footpaths I think I have identified correctly as Common Chickweed, a relatively common plant sporting the tiniest white flowers.


Above, Chickweed growing by one of the footpaths and below, Perennial Sow-thistle, both growing in the Cemy.

On a negative note, my Nikon P900 that I put into the London Camera Exchange a few weeks back is no more. I got a quote to fix not just the motor but also the lens (?????), which came back as £380 to repair. I only paid £499 for it, so I’ll just have to stick with my Panasonic Lumix Bridge Camera instead. Hurrumph!! 

  


This Chiffchaff was one of two this morning in the Cemy.

The following bird species were present this morning within the Cemetery:

  • Herring Gull
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Jay (2)
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Blackbird
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker
  • Great Tit
  • Blue Tit
  • Blackcap 
  • Chiffchaff (2)
  • Dunnock
  • Wren
  • Starling
  • Robin


This Jay was preening high up in one of the trees. 



Above and below, a Hummingbird Hawk-moth was seen again feeding on these plants where I was working on my second shift this afternoon. Second time this week I have seen it. Both photos were taken from my mobile camera, so apologies for poor quality.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...