Monday, September 25, 2023

My first Lesser Redpoll this Autumn.

Friday 22nd September 2023.


Southsea seafront early this morning. Could there be more Grey Phalarope's lingering out there?

I have a busy day today with work and so getting down to Hill Head to see the Grey Phalarope will have to be shelved for now. However, I did manage to see a few birds on my first shift on Pembroke Road this morning and then a walk around Highland Road Cemetery with the dogs afterwards. It was a gorgeous morning, a bit cold at first, but a cloudless sky with bright sunshine and it was simply a pleasure to be out in it after the grim weather earlier this week.


Above, a view of a very calm Solent this morning. Below, one of many Chiffchaffs in the Cemetery.

With the news of the Grey Phalarope still off Hill Head, before my first shift, I had a quick look on the sea near the Pyramids and though the sea was dead calm, there were no birds on the shoreline or offshore, bar a Cormorant heading east low over the Solent. However, overhead, there was a steady stream of Meadow Pipits and one Grey Wagtail over. More Meadow Pipits flew over Pembroke Road during my first shift this morning and even a couple of Chiffchaffs were seen and a Swallow over. However, the drone of the traffic going past most of the time drowned out any bird calls overhead. Fume!


Above and below, a few Starlings were singing in the sunshine.

When I got home, I quickly got the dogs and made my way over to Highland Road Cemetery where I had a good total of species seen this morning. At least 19 species were recorded today, that included my first Lesser Redpoll of the Autumn. I heard the bird first and thankfully, it flew overhead as I watched it head off east. More and more flocks of Meadow Pipits flew over, some high up and others fairly low down, but kept me busy checking on them. You never know when something a little more unusual might fly over. There must have been a fall of Chiffchaffs overnight for there were at least 15+ seen and probably a lot more around all areas of the Cemetery.




This Chiffchaff was over on the south-east side of the Cemetery.

Other notable birds included two Swallows heading fast west and a Pied Wagtail flying north over the rooftops. The Jay was heard this morning and not seen, but I was more lucky with the Dunnock; a species that is very elusive in the Cemetery.


One of many Meadow Pipits flying over the Cemetery.

The birds seen this morning included the following:

  • Chiffchaff
  • Swallow
  • Siskin
  • Lesser Redpoll
  • Goldfinch
  • Herring Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Starling
  • Dunnock
  • House Sparrow
  • Blackbird
  • Blue Tit
  • Meadow Pipit
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Jay
  • Magpie
  • Carrion Crow

Butterflies this morning included good numbers of Red Admiral, which mostly were seen enjoying the flowering Ivy. Several Large White’s were noted and on one large clump of Ivy, a Speckled Wood was also nectaring with the Red Admirals. This particular clump of Ivy held all the usual Bees and Hoverflies, plus at least two Hornet-mimic Hoverflies.


Above, both Speckled Wood butterfly and Red Admiral feeding on the flowering Ivy and also a Batman Hoverfly about to arrive to join them. Below, a Drone Fly and Hornet-mimic Hoverfly on the same bush.



Above, a Speckled Wood butterfly.

When I got home, after having a cup of coffee, the Ivy in my back garden also hosted good numbers of Bees and Hoverflies that included a Hornet-mimic Hoverfly and up to 6 Red Admiral butterflies! Even a Small White butterfly also popped in to join in the feast and yes, there was a Chiffchaff calling in the gardens near mine. They seemed to be everywhere today.


The following photos were all taken in my garden. Above, a Small White butterfly dropped in near the Ivy plants. Below, a Tapered Drone Fly on the Ivy.



Above, two of the five Red Admiral butterflies in my garden.

There are still a few Grey Phalaropes present here on the Hampshire coast and although there was a big scare when a Peregrine nearly took the Hill Head bird, it looks as though it is still present there late this afternoon. Phew! Possibly two birds are still at Keyhaven Marshes and one was seen at Hook-with-Warsash this morning. How many more are out there that have not been seen yet. Let's hope one hangs around for me and the guys tomorrow.   


The superb Magnolia Warbler at St. Govan's Head, Pembrokeshire. Thanks goes to Simon Craft for allowing me to put his photo on my blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...