Monday, September 25, 2023

Flocks of Siskins over the Cemy.

Monday 25th September 2023.


One of the Siskins seen this morning over the Cemetery heading west. Not easy to take a flight shot with a Bridge Camera.

Another glorious day here in Southsea with wall to wall blue sky and reasonably warm too (18 degrees). My first shift this morning was fairly quiet, but I did see a small flock of 8 Siskins flying low overhead heading west and a single Meadow Pipit also flying in the same direction. When I got back home, after a few chores, I was off again with the dogs around Highland Road Cemetery for another ramble around my local patch. The dogs now (they are rescue dogs we took on) are behaving quite well on the lead and so I shall probably take them further afield soon.


Above, this Red Admiral butterfly allowed me a close approach while taking this photo. Below, a pair of Collared Doves on the main footpath.


Up to 18 species of birds were noted on my walk around the Cemetery this morning, between 9.15 to 10.15am and there was a good movement of Siskins today. Most were actually seen too and I even grabbed a few ‘ropey’ photos of them flying away from me. I would say that at least 6 different flocks flew over, though it does help in picking up their distinctive call first. Several flocks of Meadow Pipits also flew over, but in much smaller numbers than of late. The Goldcrest was seen briefly over on the east side having spent some time in one of the Conifers. No sign of any Woodpeckers this morning. A dog-walker asked me if I had seen any today because she had not seen them for some time. I am hoping the Yellow-browed Warbler might turn up again this Autumn. I have had them 3 times in the Cemetery over the years I have been coming here. Fingers crossed.


Above, there were several singing Robins about this morning and also a few 'ticking' individuals heard too. Below, the Comma butterfly seen on the 'Butterfly Bush' along with a partially hidden Red Admiral.


Birds seen in the Cemetery this morning included the following:
  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull (still scarce here at this time of year)
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Goldcrest (heard calling)
  • Chiffchaff (2 or possibly 3 birds)
  • Goldfinch
  • Siskin (6 different flocks)
  • Blue Tit
  • Dunnock (2 heard)
  • Robin
  • Blackbird
  • Starling
  • House Sparrow
  • Meadow Pipit
  • Magpie
  • Carrion Crow

Another photo of the Siskins flying away from me heading west.

The Ivy bush that I saw 25 Red Admiral butterflies on actually held more than that today. In fact, there were close to 50 individuals on that very bush and not counting the many I saw on other Ivy bushes and also resting on gravestones, I would assume that there were probably triple figures of them here today! Incredible! On the same big Ivy bush, I found a Comma butterfly with them as well as the Hornet-mimic Hoverfly. Drone Flies, Batman Hoverflies and Ivy Mason Bees were also abundant on the same plants as expected. 


Above, three Glossy Ibis graced Posbrook Floods recently. Photo by Pete Appleton. Below, two male Bearded Tits showing well on the Lake area on Farlington Marshes this morning. Photo by Chris Geary.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...