Monday, July 24, 2023

Less moths, but some quality.

Tuesday 25th July 2023.

Two Jersey Tiger moths graced my moth box this morning.

The moth box was on again last night and even though I knew there were going to be a few overnight showers, this did not deter me in trying for some more interesting moths. At 5.10am, it was dry with a few passing dark clouds overhead, but overall, it looked good enough to stay outside and check the moth box and the surrounding garden. Moth numbers were most certainly a lot less than Saturday morning, but still a nice variety again including two stonking Jersey Tigers. I am just wondering where the Garden Tigers are or are they simply late this year?


An early Square-spot Rustic was a surprise.

There were 40 moths of 19 species present this morning that included two more new for the year: an early Square-spot Rustic and the micro moth Chestnut Tortrix. I should have potted the latter as my photo of it was rather poor. Another good haul of Silver Y moths again with at least 13 counted, though I am sure there were more around hiding within the plants.

The moths present this morning included the following:

  • 2 Jersey Tiger
  • 1 Lime-speck Pug
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 13 Silver Y
  • 2 Lackey
  • 1 Vines Rustic
  • 1 Garden Carpet
  • 2 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 1 Square-spot Rustic (NFY)
  • 1 Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • 2 Common Rustic
  • 3 Fulvous Pearl
  • 1 Four-spotted Obscure
  • 2 Apple Leaf Miner
  • 1 Pellitory Cosmet
  • 6 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 1 Chestnut Tortrix (NFY)
  • 1 Common Plume 
  • 1 Elder Pearl


Heavy cloud at times gave way to a few rays of sunshine in the Cemy.

This evening, I took a walk around Highland Road Cemetery for an hour, seeing it was still quite sunny outside at 5.30pm. I passed my neighbour, who was walking his dog along Albert Road and told him I was going to photograph butterflies over the Cemy. This time, I wasn't actually checking out the birds, but I did come across the Green Woodpecker and I think, even though it was the briefest of views, it was a juvenile and quite a vocal one at that.


Above, this path held a lot of Buddleia plants and attracted many Butterflies and Bees. One of many Red Admirals present along this pathway.


There was a lot of heavy cloud overhead and a bit breezy at times, occasionally the sun broke through and encouraged the Butterflies to take flight. The good news is that most of the Buddleia bushes in the Cemy were in full bloom, therefore attracting many Butterflies and Bumblebees. I made my way to most of the Buddleia bushes around the area and most had at least one Butterfly on it, which were mostly Red Admirals. Though I did find a few Painted Lady and a Large White. Maybe, if I was here around a couple of hours earlier, I expect to have seen a lot more butterflies, but I was happy with what I saw today.


Above, a Red Admiral on Bramble and below, a Painted Lady butterfly.


I did come across a small moth flying around near the Buddleia bush by the Mausoleum, but it would not settle and it most certainly did fly fast too. On the views I did get, it looked good for a Small Yellow Underwing, a species I have not ever seen before, but that's the nearest I could get for an identification. I spent most of my time around the middle of the Cemy, just north of the Holm Oak Clump where there were many Buddleia bushes, for this particular area seems to attract a lot of insects.


Above, a Large White Butterfly and below, a Queen Buff-tailed Bumblebee.


I did take a walk around the Cemy, but cut my walk a bit shorter than usual. I was really surprised when I found my first Dark Mullein plant within the Cemy. I have never seen this species of plant here and so kept a sharp eye out for any other new plants. All the usual plants were present including Ox-eye Daisy, Knapweed, Birds-foot Trefoil, Yarrow, Mallow, Lady Bedstraw, Nipplewort, Spear Thistle and Smooth Sow-thistle. All these plants produce the goods for all the insects. Excellent.


Above, a pair of Red Admirals and below, my first Dark Mullein plant on my local patch.


In Hampshire today, three Black Terns and an Arctic Tern were off Hill Head today, while nearby Titchfield Haven held the Spotted Redshank and three Common Sandpipers. Fishlake Meadows had a ringed Osprey this morning. Fellow ‘Lazee’ Andy Dickety had a Great Green Bush Cricket by Lakeside, Cosham this morning.  


Spear Thistle growing in the Cemetery. Thanks to Geoff Farwell for the ID.


 

This Great Green Bush Cricket was seen at Lakeside, Cosham. Seen and photographed by Andy Dickety.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...