Friday, July 7, 2023

Both Barn and Tawny Owl are seen tonight.

Wednesday 6th July 2023.


I certainly would not mind this on my doorstep. The view from the start of the Canal Path. What goodies would it reveal tonight. I rarely go out in the evening, but after getting an invite from both Matt and Emma Parkes, I could not resist seeing some special birds.  

Tonight, I met up with both Matt and Emma Parkes on the Canal Path by Posbrook Floods. On a beautiful, still evening, I was rewarded with some superb sightings that included my first Tawny Owl of the year, plus sightings of a quartering Barn Owl and even a Hobby put in an appearance. My first Small Emerald moth of the year even put in an appearance, but thankfully, I had a moth pot to hand to get a closer look at this pretty little moth.


Above, one could deem this a gorgeous ornamental garden plant, however, I took this flower using my macro lens on my mobile phone. It is in fact a Great Willowherb plant, deemed a weed in some quarters, but what a beautiful flower when you see it close up. Below, a female Sparrowhawk soaring high overhead. Sorry about the clarity of the photo, but my camera does struggle with flight shots (or is it me?). A second Sparrowhawk, a male, was seen flying low over the fields further down the Canal Path. 

I arrived around 7pm and was lucky enough to park in the small car park off Bridge Street. Walking slowly down the footpath, I noticed how tall the surrounding plants were that included Great Willowherb, Marsh Thistle and Himalayan Balsam growing beside the Canal, but on the other side of the footpath, the Council have mown the grass adjacent to the footpath after complaints from the locals. Before Matt and Emma arrived, I was overlooking the fields by Posbrook Floods and noticed how many Common Whitethroats were searching for food in the tall grass. Easily around a dozen birds were counted and with a few singing behind me, it looks as though they are having a good year.


Above, though an invasive species, this Himalayan Balsam does attract the Bees and insects. Below, one of a pair of Grey Herons that flew low over my head. 

Other birds noted here included a singing male Reed Bunting and also a singing Sedge Warbler, but I could not pick out any waders on the Bridge Street Floods itself, though viewing was very limited due to the tall grass within the fields. A female Sparrowhawk flew high overhead heading north, but sadly, my Bridge camera is still struggling to take decent flight shots. Thank goodness Emma had brought along her camera, for my flight shots of birds were simply rubbish what I took tonight, bar a few. Again, it's not just the birds I was looking out for, for there were plenty of insects around this evening, especially the clouds of midges along the footpath.


Above, Common Whitethroats were abundant along the footpath and below, Reed Buntings were heard singing also within the fields. At least three were seen tonight.

The Hirundines present this evening grew in number as the evening wore on and included several House Martins and large numbers of both Swallow and Swifts. In fact, nearing 9pm, there were large gatherings of Hirundines flying over, but they had to be wary because there were raptors around this evening. A pair of Grey Herons flew low overhead and several more were seen further down the Canal Path, out on Posbrook Floods as was a small group of three Little Egrets.


Above, Purple Loosestrife plants were also abundant growing along the edge of the Canal. Below, singing Chiffchaffs gave us that sound of summer.

Emma and Matt soon joined me as we slowly made our way south down the Canal Path to join up with fellow ‘Lazee Birder’, Pete Appleton. Both Chiffchaffs and Cetti’s Warblers were in full song down the path, with the former showing very well at times including one bird we think was nesting close to the footpath. A pair of Stock Doves flew up from a fence in the fields and a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers, that were heard calling in trees behind us, flew over and headed off south over the fields. Then from one of the gates overlooking the fields, Matt spotted the resident Barn Owl hunting over a field and so we spent the next 15 minutes or so enjoying this magnificent bird going about its business.


Above, can you spot the Barn Owl?


Above and below, my best efforts with the Barn Owl this evening.


After the Barn Owl, which disappeared over the Canal Path heading west, we made our way south again and joined up with Pete Appleton and a few other birders present. After a good chat while watching Whitethroats, Swifts and other passerines, we carried on down the path, for Matt said they had a Tawny Owl a little way down the path. As the sun was setting, Emma caught sight of a raptor overhead and it turned out to be a superb Hobby. The sighting was brief, but later as we were making our way back up the path, the bird was seen again flying west low over the fields and looked as though it was after Hirundines which were now gathering up in very large flocks and getting ready to roost. Dusk was nearing and Bats were now on the wing as we spotted quite a few passing close overhead. What species they are, well I think you need to get a Bat Detector for that. Matt spotted a small macro moth and on closer inspection, I knew it was one of the Emeralds and so I got my moth pot out and carefully caught the moth. It was indeed a Small Emerald; my first of the year. A lot more moths were seen, but frustratingly, it would not settle.


And now from the professionals. Above, a photo of tonight's Barn Owl from Emma Parkes and below, the same bird photographed by Pete Appleton.

I could hear a Water Rail calling somewhere in the reedbeds some distance away, but knew we had no chance of seeing it. Better still, is when we heard a young Tawny Owl calling deep within some Willows by the footpath. Amazingly, the bird flew out of cover and landed on a dead tree in front of us and gave us good but very brief views of the bird, but it flew down back into cover, too quick for a photo for either of us. A second bird was calling nearby, but only the one was seen. This was a ‘year-tick’ for me and clawing back one species off Andy Fisher too. Sorry mate!


Above, the Small Emerald I potted tonight along the Canal Path. Well done Matt for spotting it.

It was now 10 pm and we were losing the last of the light, but what a great evening. Some amazing birds were seen tonight in such brilliant conditions too. Again, I would like to thank both Emma and Matt on a great evening and also, I like to thank Emma for allowing me to put her photos on my blog.           


Teasel in the sunset. A superb evening tonight.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...