Thursday, June 29, 2023

Two more 'lifers' despite the rain.

Thursday 29th June 2023.


I used our garden umbrella to check my moth box this morning to keep out of the drizzly rain.

The rain finally arrived and as I put my moth box on last night, I knew I was in for a soggy early morning. How right I was, but to check the contents of the moth box, I decided to put the big garden umbrella up, therefore sheltering the box from the constant drizzle. There was no wind and so it was relatively dry under the Brolly as I got about checking the egg trays.


Above, Small Dotted Buff and below, Marbled Knot-horn (Acrobasis marmorea). Both are new to my Life List.

After finally checking all the moths thoroughly, there were 94 moths of 35 species of which TWO were added to my Moth life list. Just as good was my second ever Scallop Shell, which was also a first for the garden too; the first being in Norfolk many years ago. The macro moth, Small Dotted Buff belongs to the Wainscot family and was pleased with this being added to my life list as was the micro moth, Marbled Knot-horn (Acrobasis marmorea)


Above, only my second ever Scallop Shell moth and below, another moth new to my year list, Euzonia pinguis, which are regular to my garden.

New for the year included the micro moths Euzonia pinguis, Bird-cherry Ermine and Rusty-dot Pearl, the latter being an immigrant moth. The most numerous moth by far were the Riband Wave's, with at least 16 counted, but probably more as some flew off before I could get a photo. So, despite the drizzly weather, it turned out to be a stunning array of moths again for my Southsea garden.


Above, both Rusty-dot Pearl and below, Bird-cherry Ermine were new for the year.

Moths present this morning included the following:

  • 7 Heart & Dart
  • 1 Scallop Shell (NFY)
  • 3 Lime-speck Pug
  • 4 Common Emerald
  • 2 Dark Arches
  • 5 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 5 Willow Beauty
  • 1 Lesser Yellow Underwing
  • 1 Large Yellow Underwing
  • 16 Riband Wave
  • 1 White Ermine
  • 1 L-album Wainscot
  • 2 Silver Y
  • 1 Cabbage Moth
  • 1 SMALL DOTTED BUFF    (LIFER)
  • 5 Garden Carpet
  • 1 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 1 Varied Coronet
  • 1 Uncertain
  • 2 Bud Moth 
  • 4 Bee Moth
  • 1 Ruddy Streak
  • 7 Box Tree Moth
  • 1 Euzonia Pinguis (NFY)
  • 1 Yellow Oak Button (Aleimma loeflingiana)
  • 2 Diamond-back Moth
  • 5 Garden Grass-veneer
  • 1 Twin-barred Knot-horn (Homoeosoma sinuella)
  • 1 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 3 Common Plume
  • 1 ACROBASIS MARMOREA    (LIFER)
  • 3 Rosy Tabby
  • 1 Bird-cherry Ermine (NFY)
  • 1 Rusty-dot Pearl (NFY)
  • 1 Small Grey (Eudonia mercurella)

It looks as though due to the lack of any unusual birds here in Hampshire, a few of the 'Lazee Birders' are now getting into moths! Andrew Dickety sent me some nice photos of both Small Ranunculus that was in his home Conservatory and also a Clouded Buff that was found on Beaulieu Heath yesterday. Even Andy Friend is getting interested in his insects in and around his garden that included a Silver Y moth.


Above, Small Ranunculus moth and below, Clouded Buff. Photos by Andrew Dickety.



Above, a female Black-tailed Skimmer dragonfly consuming a Small Skipper butterfly. Photo by Andy Friend.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...