Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Some great moths & a trip to Chalton.

Wednesday 10th May 2023.


Only my third ever Mullein moth seen and all have been in my garden.

Having put my moth box on overnight, I was well pleased with the amount of moths I had caught and the variety too. Five ‘new for the year’ species were seen including a superb Mullein moth that was perched on the fence panel nearby. This is one species I have only encountered just twice before, both in my garden too and having got some reasonable photos, I soon released it back into the garden.


Above, this Yellow-barred Brindle was my first this year and below, a Bloxworth Snout.

Our local House Sparrows have been seen mating recently and soon will have young to feed and that's where I then have to get up very early to beat the Sparrows on feeding on my moths by my moth box! Other new moths for the year included a Yellow-barred Brindle (perched on the same fence panel),  4 Pale Mottled Willow, a single Bright-line Brown-eye and a new micro moth for my life list, a Pointed Groundling (Scrobipalpa acuminatella). As well as these moths, new for the garden this year was a Garden Carpet. So, in total, the sum total of moths present this morning were 33 moths of 15 species that included the following:

  • 1 Mullein
  • 1 Yellow-barred Brindle
  • 4 Pale Mottled Willow
  • 1 Bloxworth Snout
  • 2 Angle Shades
  • 1 Bright-line Brown-eye
  • 2 Brimstone Moth
  • 2 Shuttle-shaped Dart
  • 1 Garden Carpet
  • 1 Early Grey
  • 6 Double-striped Pug
  • 1 Pointed Groundling
  • 1 Eudonia angustea
  • 6 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 3 Tachystola acroxantha 


Above, one of four Pale Mottled Willow moths this morning and below, my first ever Pointed Groundling micro moth.



Above, my first Bright-line Brown-eye of the year this morning and below, I rescued this Buff-tailed Bumble Bee from the road while I was at work in the afternoon.



Above, at least four Swallows were seen north of the Village on overhead wires. More were seen on the way to the village and over the fields. Below, the Hare seen in the field nearby.


After my first shift, I thought I would take a drive up to Charlton village, just south of Petersfield, for the Turtle Doves. Though I will not give the location away of these now rare birds, especially in Hampshire (they have been seen this year at the well-known location of Martin Down), a local who knows the birds well, told me that I was a ‘smidge’ too early for them, though they should be back within the next few weeks. I shall make a return journey then to see them. However, having spent a good hour there, I did see some notable sightings.


Above, Hedge Mustard and below, Greater Stitchwort, were both growing abundantly along the roadside. 


Swallows were busy flying overhead, searching the warm air for insects and occasionally perching on overhead wires to tease me for a decent photo of these lovely birds. A pair of Chiffchaffs chased each other until the male bird stopped briefly for a quick sing and a male Blackcap was seen flying from bush to bush near the Railway Line, giving off a very strange call, of which I don't think I have ever heard before (Yes, it was most definitely a Blackcap!). Another Warbler, a Common Whitethroat, was holding territory by the Railway Line and showed very well at times. Annoyingly, Rail staff were cutting down trees near the Railway Line with chainsaws and also had a Shredder on the go, which shattered the peace here at times. 


Above, this Common Whitethroat was singing by the Railway Bridge and below, Rail staff chopping down the trees by the Railway Line. Just a shame it took them to the middle of Spring to chop them down when birds are nesting!



Above, a Mistle Thrush in a nearby field by the Bridge and below, another photo of the distant Hare.


A surprise sighting was a Firecrest flying low over the road and over my head to then disappear within a small copse nearby. Its call helped with the ID. A male Yellowhammer passed overhead, heading towards the nearby Down and at least two Mistle Thrushes were present; one was heard singing nearby and another was seen well in the field adjacent to the Railway Line where there was also a good crop of Cowslips growing in the same area. On the subject of plants, both Hedge Mustard and Greater Stitchwort were growing abundantly along the roadside.


Above, Cowslips growing in a nearby field and below, a Common Buzzard seen some distance away in a tree.


Other birds present included at least two Common Buzzards, at least three Mediterranean Gulls flying low over the fields to the north and at least one Stock Dove seen. A single Hare was seen in a field to the south and remained there for at least 30 minutes until heading off to a nearby hedgerow. All in all, though no sighting of the Turtle Doves, it was a most enjoyable hours birding.       


This singing male Chiffchaff gave up the chase for its partner and settled for a song.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...