Sunday, May 7, 2023

Hooded Crow in Gosport.

Sunday 7th May 2023.


The Hooded Crow grabbing all the attention among the many Carrion Crows present. Only my second ever Hampshire of this species and showing down to around 20 feet at times.

As I was enjoying watching our Swifts over the garden ‘screaming’ in one group containing five birds, I thought that I must go birding somewhere this morning. So, seeing that the Hooded Crow was still present early this morning, along the tide line in front of the Car Park, by the Diving Museum, in Gosport, I just had to make the half hour journey to this part of the world.


I arrived by the car park and spent the next twenty or so minutes searching through all the many Carrion Crows opposite the car park and also the field on the opposite side of the road, but to no avail. There was no sign of the bird. So I decided to park a little way up Stokes Bay Road and have another look at the Crows that were making their way from the tall line of Conifers opposite. I soon noticed both Matt and Emma Parkes with their children walking my way and so joining them, we had a joint search for the Crow.


After 15 minutes or so, they decided to head to nearby Browndown to search for the bird, while I stayed behind and watched out for the bird should it fly from the trees and that is exactly what the bird did! After ten minutes, the elusive Hooded Crow soon flew out of the trees with other Carrion Crows and land opposite the nearby Car Park and so I quickly rang Emma that the bird had reappeared again and everyone, including several other birders who had come down for a sighting, were now happy. The bird seemed oblivious to everyone present as it performed very well for us ‘toggers’ and posed nicely all the time I was there. 


Other birds noted during my time there were at least a dozen Swallows hawking over the beach and the nearby Conifers, plus a few coming in over a very grey and misty Solent. A pair of Sandwich Terns flew west following the shoreline towards Browndown, but apart from a Cormorant heading west, nothing was picked up flying through the Solent. In Hampshire, the Long-billed Dowitcher, that was in summer plumage, was attracting a large crowd on Pennington Marshes; though I heard the parking there was a nightmare. I have read on Birdguides that a Kentish Plover is on the Stilt Pools at Medmerry RSPB Reserve. Wow! Spring has sprung well!  



Above, a flight shot of the Hooded Crow by Emma Parkes. Below, the Long-billed Dowitcher at Pennington Marshes. Photo by Andy Tew.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...