Tuesday, April 11, 2023

No new moths this morning.

Tuesday 11th April 2023.


One of 6 Early Grey moths this morning by my moth box.

After yesterday's good moth count for this time of year, I thought I would repeat putting the moth box on overnight. Weather conditions seemed to be good and no rain for a nice change, though it is predicted to come in later today. So, this morning was nice and dry as I went about checking both the outside and inside the moth box. As predicted, a lot of yesterday's moths hung around due to the light being on, so tonight, I will not have the box on.


Three of the four Angle Shades moths seen by my moth box.

There was nothing new to add to my moth year list among the 17 moths of just 5 species:

  • 4 Angle Shades
  • 2 Double-striped Pug
  • 9 Early Grey
  • 2 Common Plume
  • 1 Light Brown Apple Moth 


This drake Ring-necked Duck was a brief stay on Ibsley Water, Blashford Lakes, last Saturday afternoon. I was still driving back from North Yorkshire and too tired to drive all the way there to view the bird. Grumble! Photo by Andy Tew.

On the bird front, the Black-crowned Night Heron is still by Ilford Bridge, near Christchurch and showing to the many admirers. I do hope the ‘toggers’ behave themselves and not frighten the bird, unlike the unruly behavior of some of the North Yorkshire bird!


Above, the adult Black-crowned Night Heron showing well by the River Stour, near Christchurch over the weekend. It wasn't always this obliging and some birders had to wait a very long time for it to appear, let alone get a good photo of the bird. Photo by Emma Parkes. Below, one of three Little Gulls hawking over the Stream area on Farlington Marshes last weekend. Photo by Andy Friend. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...