Monday, April 10, 2023

Reasonable Moth haul despite the rain.

Monday 10th April 2023.


My first Hebrew Character moth of the year, though it had to be rescued.

It looks as though it is going to be a very wet Easter Monday and most likely no birding at all today. On a positive note, I put the moth box on overnight and was rewarded with at least 14 moths of 6 species by the moth box, however, it was too wet to check inside the moth box. I am hoping the rain will ease later in the day for me to check the egg trays inside the box.


Above, an Early Grey moth and below, one of two Angle Shades moth.

I did have to rescue one of the moths as it was upside down and stuck in water on the rain guard and so I quickly put it inside one of the moth pots for it to dry out and check on what species it was. It turned out to be my first Hebrew Character of the year and as I write, it looks as though it is drying itself out quite nicely.


This Double-striped Pug was resting on the white sheet behind the moth box.

The following moths present so far include the following:

  • 2 Angle Shades
  • 1 Hebrew Character (NFY)
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 5 Early Grey
  • 2 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 3  Common Plume


One of two Light Brown Apple Moths this morning.

If I was going birding anywhere, I would like to use the comfort of a Hide and some chap at Blashford Lakes this morning had a nice haul of birds, most likely from the Tern Hide that included 1 Common Tern, 500+ Sand Martin, 1 House Martin, 10 Swallows and the female Scaup. Birding pal, Geoff Farwell, was birding at Oxenbourne Down yesterday afternoon and had the following sightings: 6 Firecrest, 4 Chiffchaff, Raven, 2 Buzzard and a probable Goshawk. Also several butterfly species including 2 Comma’s, numerous Brimstone and a Peacock.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...