Sunday, March 5, 2023

Ravens over the Cemetery.

Sunday 5th March 2023.


A view of one of the footpaths looking east. Could there be a migrant bird lurking among the gravestones. I am surely due a Hoopoe soon?

It was back over Highland Road Cemetery this afternoon for a slow meander around my local patch. A trickle of migrants were seen yesterday, with both Sand Martin and an Osprey seen in Dorset; so would there be a possible Blackcap or Chiffchaff lurking about within the Cemy? It was still quite cold (snow is predicted in Scotland and Northern England tomorrow!), but there was hardly any wind and when I first arrived at 12.30pm, it was quite sunny.


One of three Jays seen this morning on my walk round.

A total of 18 species of birds were either heard or seen during my visit here today and that included a pair of Ravens that were seen flying high up and heading east. I have had them over the Cemetery before in the past, but it still is a rare sight still to see them here. Yes, probably the highlight of my visit here, though I did see my first Tapered Drone Fly of the year. The Jays showed well today and I think there might have been at least three of them today. The only relatively uncommon bird I noted this morning I didn't exactly see. A Mediterranean Gull was heard to call overhead, but checking the sky, I then came across the Ravens and so I gave them my total attention! Unbelievably, not one Starling was seen this morning.


Above, one of the two Ravens that flew high east over the Cemetery and below, my first Tapered Drone Fly of the year.

The birds seen or heard this morning included the following:

  • Raven
  • Carrion Crow
  • Jay 
  • Magpie
  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Mediterranean Gull
  • Wood Pigeon 
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Wren
  • Blackbird
  • Robin
  • House Sparrow


Above and below, a large swathe of Red Dead-nettle was now in bloom.

As mentioned before, my first Tapered Drone Fly of the year was seen this morning perched on one of the graves, warming itself up in the sunshine. Several Buff-tailed Bumble bees were again in the grave with all the Heather within it, but no other Bees or Hoverflies on the wing. On the subject of plants, a huge swathe of Red Dead-nettle was now out in bloom by the path leading towards the Holm Oak Clump; while other plants present and in flower included the Winter Heliotrope, Smooth Sow-thistle and the all too common, Common Groundsel. Yes, some of the graves held flowering Daffodils and Grape Hyacinths which were very pretty; but not quite as good as our native plants though.


Above, good numbers of Blackbirds were still in the Cemetery including this male bird. Below, this was the only Collared Dove seen this morning; perched high up in one of the Chestnut trees that are budding now.

In Hampshire this morning, a pair of Spoonbills were on Farlington Marshes, however, at least 9 birds were seen at Normandy Marshes! The long staying Iceland Gull is still at Redbridge Wharf and showing well still.




From top to bottom: One of many Goldfinches in the Cemetery today; several Buff-tailed Bumble Bees on the Heather grave and finally, the Winter Heliotrope still in flower near the Holm Oaks.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...