Thursday, March 9, 2023

Fairly quiet around Eastney and Southsea beach.

Thursday 9th March 2023.


This Lesser Black-backed Gull thankfully landed back on the Common.

Despite the rain, I had to go out today and see if I could come up with a good sighting along the both Southsea seafront and the harbour entrance at Eastney. Yes, I may have done it from the comfort of my car, but there was no chance of getting a soaking from the car and so looking through the window, I first pulled up at Eastney car park to check the high tide. There was quite a heavy swell within the harbour entrance, but there was absolutely nothing sitting on the water around midday.


Opening the car windows up a little, there were Starlings perched on the lone bush to my left (above) and Black-headed Gulls on the beach near the car to my right (below).

The car park was quite full when I arrived, but I was lucky enough to grab the last space. A small group of Black-headed Gulls were on the beach close by and a small flock of 10 Starlings were sat on the only small bush here and a pair of Dunnocks were feeding on probably bird feed on the concrete below. Sadly, nothing else to report here and so I took a drive down to the spit to check the northern end of Langstone Harbour.


Above, these two Brent Geese were close in by the spit while below, two flocks of Brent Geese flew in opposite directions from one another.

From here, which was also very busy with cars parking here, a pair of Brent Geese were bobbing on the high water close to the shoreline, while a large flock in the distance flew high over the houses, splitting into two groups with one heading east and the other flying west. I scanned the harbour thoroughly for any wildfowl on the water, but the only bird I found was a drake Red-breasted Merganser that was some distance out. The rain had eased up a bit and so I got out of the car to take a few photos of the said birds.


Above, this lone drake Red-breasted Merganser was the only duck I saw on the harbour. Below, the Lesser Black-backed Gull along with a nearby Carrion Crow, were on Southsea Common. 

After ten minutes or so, I then headed along the seafront, hoping to catch sight of my first Wheatear of the year (wishful thinking!) and also to check the small Gull flocks on the beach for any Med Gulls. I didn't come across any and so took a drive down to Southsea Common. From here, I pulled up in the lay by near the Hovercraft Terminal and scanned the sea first for anything of note. Naff all! So I checked Southsea  Common and among the many Black-headed and Herring Gulls present, I found a single Lesser Black-backed Gull on the field but it was soon flushed by a dog-walker and lucky for me, settled briefly nearby on the Common. There were plenty more Brent Geese again down here, but again, flushed by the dog-walkers. Ho hum!


Above, the Lesser Black-backed Gull settling back down on the Common. Below, this lucky photo of a Brent Geese passing the window of the Naval Memorial Building!

Apart from another largish flock of Brent by the old Royal Marine Museum flying over, not a lot else was seen and so I made my way back home. In Hampshire today, the four Glossy Ibis were once again seen early this morning at Bridge Street Floods as well as a Siberian Chiffchaff.        


Above, this Waxwing was seen and photographed by 'Lazee Birder' John Manley this morning at a place called Cranfield, Milton Keynes. Hampshire has not been blessed with this species for a few years now; but you never know what could turn up with this wintry weather around.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...