Wednesday, February 22, 2023

No Owls at Fort Cumberland.

Wednesday 22nd February 2023.


An adult Mediterranean Gull by the harbour entrance at Eastney.

Though the weather forecast was not looking good with showers and a heavy overcast sky overhead, I still ventured out to take a walk around Fort Cumberland again. Two Barn Owls had been spotted by one of the ‘Lazee Birders’ recently, which whetted my appetite and so I took a drive down to Fort Cumberland to try my luck. To be honest, it was looking a lot brighter by the time I got to the car park there and reasonably mild too, with a very light westerly and temperatures around 10 degrees centigrade.


Above, the Common Seal with a fish swimming just off the concrete embankment. Below, one of the four Sanderling on the shoreline.

I will not be long now when the first Wheatear and Sand Martin arrive back to our shores and so I did keep an eye out over the beach, which seemed crammed with dogs this morning. There was just the one ‘Nuder’ walking along the beach, though an old boy who was walking, unfortunately, in my direction. I gave him a wide berth as I went in search for Sanderling on the shoreline and came up trumps with at least four birds going about their business. Though flushed by a dog-walker, the birds gave me an opportunity to grab some flight shots.


Above, Sanderlings about to land on the beach and below, where once were Owls using the holes, a Stock Dove boldly resides there this morning. 

Walking now back up to Fort Cumberland, I gave the ruined buildings some serious scrutiny for a possible Black Redstart, but apart from the usual Feral Pigeons, all was very quiet here. Checking the sea for anything of note, two Mute Swans (an adult and juvenile) hurried past low over the water and a few minutes later, an adult Shag flew south-west out to sea heading towards the Isle of Wight. I was hoping for a distant Gannet over the sea, but apart from a few distant Gulls, nothing out there. Something briefly popped up and eventually showed well; a Common Seal with a large fish in its mouth. The Seal showed well several times, but eventually headed off east underwater.


Above, an adult Shag was a surprise as it flew out of the harbour entrance and out over the Solent and below, an adult and juvenile Mute Swan flew east low over the sea. 

On reaching the end of the concrete embankment, I checked the holes in the Fort Cumberland wall and all that was present was a Stock Dove sitting in one of the holes! No Owls I’m afraid, but up to 6 Stock Doves in the area to make the walk here oh so worth it!!! Never mind, a slow walk back produced the Seal again and this time, a lot closer than expected (see photos). Not a great deal else seen on the walk back to the car and after changing my footwear, a drive to the spit by the Hayling Ferry Terminal was my next destination.


Above, one of the two Mediterranean Gulls by the harbour entrance and below, two of the four Sanderling on the foreshore at Eastney.

I first checked the Gulls on the shingle and among the dozen or so Black-headed Gulls, there were two adult Mediterranean Gulls quietly resting among them. Always a pleasure to see these attractive birds. I checked out the northern half of Langstone Harbour and over by the Milton Lakes area, I found at least four Red-breasted Mergansers and a Great Crested Grebe swimming on the high tide close to the shoreline. There were no sign of any Turnstone resting on the boats nearby and in fact, I couldn't find any waders at all here looking north over the harbour, but I did see another flock of Sanderling flying over the harbour entrance towards Eastney beach.      


The two Med Gulls present by the harbour entrance this morning.

In Hampshire this morning, a male Black Redstart was found by another ‘Lazee Birder', Mr Andrew Dickety, at Archers Road in Lee on Solent. He also saw the four Glossy Ibis at the Bridge Street Floods, Titchfield. He is still currently ahead in the most species seen in Hampshire leader board.


A blast from the past. This juvenile Iceland Gull spent several days at Broadmarsh Slipway 11 years ago today!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...