Friday, February 24, 2023

A drive out in the country.

Friday 24th February 2023.


The Bucks Head car park by the River Meon.

I took a drive out into the countryside late morning with a quest to see both Green Sandpiper and Little Owl, but , unfortunately, I saw neither. The weather wasn't that great either and although there was hardly any wind, the heavy cloud overhead produced a bit of drizzle now and then, though I only popped out of the car long enough to grab a few nice sightings.


Above, the White-shouldered House Moth that flew into my kitchen last night and promptly potted. Below, one of a pair of Grey Wagtails on the Cress Beds at Warnham.

Last night, a small micro moth flew into the kitchen and quickly potted the moth, I knew almost immediately what species it was. It was my first White-shouldered House Moth of the year and although it would not settle for a photo, I decided to leave it in the pot and take a photo the following day instead.


Above, a Rookery that was very much active in Meonstoke. Below, the Warnford Cress Beds.

My first destination was to be Meonstoke for a possible Green Sandpiper and after grabbing a bit of lunch from a nearby Garage shop, I parked up in the Bucks Head car park and took a stroll along the small stream next to the River Meon. Sadly, not a bird to be seen, though I did see a Little Egret in the same spot on the way back from Warnham from the car. Behind the houses, there was a lot of activity from the Rooks in the trees, which were nesting in good numbers there. Not a great deal else of note here apart from a drake Mallard on the river, so I made my way to the Cress Beds at Warnham.


Above, Snowdrops were evident all along the A32 out in the sticks and below, a Little Egret had just landed on the Cress Beds and began searching for food.

After finishing my lunch in the car, I got out and checked the Cress Beds for anything of note. A pair of Grey Wagtails were on the concrete embankment between the Beds and nearby, a pair of Mallard swam on the larger areas of water at the back of the Cress Beds. A Little Egret flew in and landed in the centre of the Beds, but no sign of any Green Sandpipers I’m afraid. Overhead, a pair of Common Buzzards circled high overhead and headed off south over the countryside as I was leaving the area.


Distant Roe Deer were seen in the fields from East Hoe Road.

My next stop was to take the East Hoe Road to Denmead for where I used to see a Little Owl most years; however, I have not been here for a number of years and so it was going to be a bit of a gamble should I see one. The gamble did not pay off as a lot of the trees that used to be there have now fallen, leaving behind just three trees! I did get out of the car and admire the view from a layby, looking north and from here, I saw a small herd of Roe Deer way in the distance, just east of Green Lane and the woodland there. A Common Buzzard was perched in a tree nearby, but very little else of note here. Nothing was seen in the fields bar a few Corvids as I made my way through Hoe Gate and then onto the B2177 to take me up to Portsdown Hill. Just before getting onto the B2177, one of the grass verges held my first Lesser Celandine of the year.


Above, a Common Buzzard in a small group of trees from East Hoe Road and below, the superb view from the same road looking east.

Driving over Portsdown Hill heading east to go to Farlington Avenue, a small group of 3 Common Buzzards were seen soaring high over the hill to round off my nice drive in the countryside. 

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...