Wednesday, February 8, 2023

From Pigeon House Farm to Hook Heath Farm.

Wednesday 8th February 2023.


While walking down Pigeon House Lane, I found a pair of Firecrests, my first of the year, along these hedgerows in the photo.

After having birding pal Geoff Farwell’s report of his trip down Pigeon House Lane, on top of Portsdown Hill and seeing it was a bright cloudless day, I thought I would try my luck this morning.  He had reported up to 85+ Yellowhammers and 14 Mandarin Ducks while walking from Pigeon House Farm to Hook Heath Farm, which whetted my appetite and it most certainly paid off. Some cracking birds have been found here in the past, including both Ortolan and Little Bunting as well as a Richard's Pipit. Probably well under-watched, it does attract a few birders now and then and can turn up a few oddities too as well as the more familiar farmland birds.


Above, there were plenty of raptors on show this morning including this Common Buzzard and below, Red Kite. Up to two Kestrels were also seen this morning.

I had parked the car within the long lay-by near Pigeon House Lane and eventually walked down the road, taking my time and taking in the fresh air and amazing views looking north over the superb countryside. I was only around fifty yards down the road, when I heard a ‘crest’ calling deep within the leafless hedgerow. I could not make it out at first as the sun was directly behind it, but eventually I got a good view and it turned out to be my first Firecrest of the year! What a great start. I believe a second bird was seen a little further down on the opposite side of the road, but it was too quick for me to get a good look of the bird.


Above, another Red Kite and below, yet another Common Buzzard, all in the same field.

Having seen a hovering male Kestrel earlier near the car park, I knew it was going to be a good morning for raptors and I found an incredible SEVEN Red Kites all in and around one field to the north-east of the road. Intermingled with the Kites were at least 4 Common Buzzards either sitting in the field or on the adjacent hedgerows. Walking further down the road, a gathering of SIX birds were soaring high above the countryside, with at least four more seen further down the road! Then my second new bird for the year, a male Yellowhammer, was first heard calling and then seen distantly perched on a roadside tree before flying off over the countryside.


Above, Common Buzzard and below, a perched Red Kite.

Nearing the Ford at the bottom of the road, both Blue Tits and Great Tits were flying over my head, while out in the field to the west, a large gathering of Corvids (Carrion Crow, Rook and Jackdaw) were bathing in the large puddles and were also joined by a lone Grey Heron. More Rooks were in the trees near the Ford and one had to be careful because there was a lot of melting ice still on the road edges. A Skylark flew high overhead as I made way for a few cars to pass then carried on up to Hook Heath Farm. I cannot recall ever seeing or being at this location before, but it was most certainly not going to be the last time.


Above, the Grey Heron to the east of the main road among the Corvids. Below, Carrion Crows and Rooks settling in the trees above the Ford.

Some of the nearby woods here looked very interesting for a good walk and explore and who knows what could be found here. Being careful not to look too nosey, I gave the garden at Hook Heath Farm a good look, especially due to the fact they had a lot of bird feeders attracting the passerines. A good sized flock of House Sparrows were sunning themselves in the hedgerows opposite and on the opposite side of the Farm, there lies a large pond that was virtually near covered in matted tree branches of Willow and probably a few other species. Here is where the Mandarin Ducks were, as I counted at least four drakes along with two drake Mallard and a pair of Moorhens for company, though it wasn't easy among the tangle of low branches! Maybe we don't have to travel all the way to Eyeworth Pond to ‘year-tick’  the Mandarins now?


These are the best images I could get of the drake Mandarins for the low branches that obscured my view of the birds. In the above photo, the drake is being followed by a drake Mallard. 

Another good species, the Marsh Tit, was also seen close by the Farm; in fact a pair of birds that were scurrying around the hedgerows nearby. I wonder if I can have a chat with the Farm owner if they might let me explore their Farm more seeing they look as though they like their birds? The walk back proved knackering, especially as my chest is still not 100%; so I took my time walking back uphill and took in a lot of the scenery on the way back. In doing so, I clocked a Great Spotted Woodpecker flying high over the trees heading north and a Linnet was heard flying west and a Song Thrush flew out of the hedgerow and quickly landed out of sight.


Above, these signs were dotted about the main road and below, Snowdrops adorned this embankment by the roadside.

That was a superb walk and in the sunshine, this place has so much to offer. The only downside here was the amount of litter along the roadside. This road is infamous for ‘Fly-tipping’ and there were enough signs put up to try to deter such activities, but I still found stuff being dumped by the roadside. Such a shame. A good friend of mine managed to catch someone in the act of Fly-tipping last year and photographed him doing it and his vehicle which led to a successful prosecution.


Above, this Common Buzzard was either watching me or watching a tractor trimming (butchering!) a hedgerow on the junction just past the Ford! Below, one of the pair of Marsh Tits near the same Farm.

In Hampshire today, the Iceland Gull was showing again at Redbridge Wharf as a few more of the Lazee’s managed to add this rare gull to their year list. The Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers were showing well at Acres Down in the New Forest and also in the Forest, the Great Grey Shrike was performing between Shatterford and Denny Wood.  


On the left of this photo, the tangled mess of trees that were hiding the small lake that held the Mandarins etc. To the right, we have Hook Heath Farm.


The Ford at the bottom of the Lane.


Hazel Catkins on show along the Lane.


We are so blessed in Hampshire for having such a diverse landscape. From the top of Portsdown Hill heading north, one can be immersed in pure countryside and nature and it's just twenty minutes up the road from me! How lucky I am.











     




No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...