Friday, February 10, 2023

First moth of the month.

Friday 10th February 2023.


My first Double-striped Pug last night by my moth box.

Though I have not done any birding today, though it was really tempting, I had the moth box on overnight and tried my luck on yet another very cold night. I was in luck late last night when I actually found my first moth of the month. It was a Double-striped Pug and although not a very exciting moth, it still constitutes that it was not a blank night as the moth was still present early this morning.




The Short-eared Owl that was performing well for everyone visiting Farlington Marshes this week. Photos by Graeme Loader.

I am always interested in what else the moth box might attract and there must have been at least 8 small Gnat-like insects on the white sheet behind the box. Exactly what species they were, is anyone's guess, but I am not too worried about that. As soon as the sunshine hit the moth, it was off over the garden.



The juvenile Iceland Gull off Redbridge Wharf yesterday. Photos by Andy Tew.

There were some superb birds around Hampshire around this morning which included the juvenile Iceland Gull at Redbridge Wharf, which will probably be a target bird tomorrow. A Lesser Spotted Woodpecker was again seen and heard this morning in the woods at Acres Down in the New Forest and a Long-tailed Duck was seen by a fellow ‘Lazee’, Becky, off Black Point, Hayling Island. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...