Thursday, December 22, 2022

Very quiet at Eastney Point.

Thursday 22nd December 2022.


The weather was closing in when I was leaving Eastney Point this morning.

I took a gamble today by taking a walk over Eastney to hopefully view yesterday's Great Northern Divers this morning, but despite a high tide, the birds were nowhere to be seen. In fact, it was nearly void of birds and what with the horrible weather (heavy squally drizzle on a breezy south-westerly) and some disgusting old bloke flashing his bits, despite wearing a raincoat (work that one out!); I think I could possibly write this trip here off!


A lone Common Gull passed by heading west over the beach.

I am not a prude and I know this end of Eastney beach is infamous for its Naturists, but the weather was awful and this guy, who by the way walked up to me and said ‘Morning’, could have easily covered himself up instead of exposing his ‘bits’ to me! I simply told him to ‘F*** off you freak!’. Things would have turned very ugly if I had my Granddaughter with me or my wife!


A pair of Stock Doves by Fort Cumberland.

Rant over and back to the few birds on show. Yes, no sign whatsoever on anything on the sea which was disappointing, but a Common Gull flew over and on the fenced in area on Fort Cumberland, there were at least 4 Stock Doves perched on the wire fence along with a few Wood Pigeons. Looking east towards Gunner Point over on Hayling Island, I could see a large flock of small waders swirling over on the shoreline there which I assume were Sanderling. Sadly, none on the beach here this morning while I was there. However, I did see a small flock of 5 Turnstone flying low over the sea close in heading west. 


A bemused looking Stock Dove not really enjoying the weather

I did take a drive down to the harbour entrance to see if the Divers were there but again, no sign on anything on the water there bar a few Black-headed Gulls. A Starling flew onto my nearside door mirror, but I had no food to offer it, but to be around 18 inches away from it was special. Up to 3 Dunnocks scurried on the concrete block by the lone bush within the car park here before I left to visit my Dad. On the way up the Eastern Road, I spotted 4 Little Grebes swimming on Hilsea Creek by the main bridge and on the way back home, going south down the Eastern Road, I saw at least 10 Avocets on the mudflats looking east from the bridge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...