Saturday, December 24, 2022

Another good total of birds in the Cemy.

Saturday 24th December 2022.


The sun was trying to get out between the heavy overcast clouds this morning over the Cemetery.

I managed to get most of my chores done this morning and while my wife was away getting the last few bits for Xmas, I took the opportunity to take a walk around my ‘local patch’ Highland Road Cemetery, again. A positively balmy 11 degrees this morning here in Southsea, though it was mostly cloudy with the possible threat of rain, which it did as I was leaving the Cemy. Again, another good haul of bird species in and over the Cemy, which kept me interested throughout my trip here.


Above, at least four Robins were seen this morning including this individual in full song. Gorgeous to stand and watch. Below, Blackbirds also were in good numbers with at least 10 seen today.

There were a good many dog-walkers this morning, though all dogs behaved themselves and there were also a few joggers and some simply taking in a bit of fresh air. Good to see. Though the Cemy was alive with birds, insects and any flowering plants was near non-existent. I assume last week's heavy frosts put paid to any flowering weeds or plants? 


Up to 8 Redwing were in the trees this morning. A good number for here.

Starling numbers are on the increase here, with at least 30 birds seen in one particular flock this morning. Same could be said of the Goldfinches with probably the same number seen. Greenfinch numbers included a flock of 6 birds high up in one of the trees. However, I was pleased with the thrush numbers this morning. A flock of 8 Redwing spent the time I was there showing well at times high up in the Horse Chestnut or Lime trees within the centre of the Cemy, though some were checking out the conifers on the north-east side. Again, just the one lone Song Thrush this morning, but plenty of Blackbirds about today. Will we get a Fieldfare anytime soon here?


Notoriously difficult to photograph (for me anyway with my Bridge camera!), this female Goldcrest showed very well in a Horse Chestnut tree close to the footpath.

Both the Great Spotted Woodpecker and Green Woodpecker were again seen today. The Great Spotted Woodpecker was an all too brief sighting as it flew past me briefly, but only heard again and not seen. Whereas the Green Woodpecker flew up from the ground after being flushed by a dog-walker and then perched on a large gravestone over on the south-east side. It was as I was making my way back to the entrance gate that I finally saw my first Jay of the morning and eventually posed nicely for me to grab a photo. A Pied Wagtail, as per usual, was a ‘flyover’ bird, but 23 species this morning within the Cemy was a good total. I was sure I heard a Meadow Pipit going over, but I did not get a sighting of the bird to be totally sure. 


Above, all 8 of the Redwing present in the Cemetery in one tree and below, the female Green Woodpecker perched on the gravestone over in the south-east corner of the Cemy.

The following species were either seen or heard on my walk this morning:

  • Herring Gull
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Starling
  • House Sparrow
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Goldcrest
  • Robin
  • Wren
  • Song Thrush
  • Blackbird
  • Redwing
  • Carrion Crow
  • Magpie
  • Jay
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker
  • Green Woodpecker 


One of the many Goldfinches seen picking off Buddliea seeds near the Mausoleum. Below, the Song Thrush over on the east side of the Cemetery.

In Hampshire this morning, the Tree Sparrow was still present at Chilling Barn, near Warsash and the Long-tailed Duck was still present off Southmoors. From Hayling Oyster Beds, fellow ‘Lazee Birder’ Gary Fennemore had seen a Merlin, a Great Northern Diver, 6 Black-necked Grebes and the flock of 5 Velvet Scoter. The 1st winter Little Gull was still off Black Point, Hayling Island this morning. A Short-eared Owl was still on Farlington Marshes and the Great Grey Shrike was still at Pig Bush, in the New Forest. 


I finally caught up with a Jay as I was leaving the Cemy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...