Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Leach's Petrel's off Hill Head.

Tuesday 1st November 2022.


The Leach's Petrel off Hill Head with a Herring Gull below it. Photo by Pete Appleton.

As Storm Claudio officially battered the south and south west of the UK overnight, I awoke to see my moth box laying on the floor, but thankfully, not broken and the light still on, though no moths to look at. Harrumph! Reluctantly, as the wind and rain seems to have come back again while I was walking Scruff tonight, I have put my moth box on again, but this time weighting down the rain guard even more.

Earlier today, with the heavy prolonged showers and gale force south-westerly winds hammering the coastline, a few brave souls checked out the sea in atrocious conditions, but were well rewarded with at least three Leach’s Petrels passing through; one bird coming in quite close to land and judging by the superb photos, quite close to the Sailing Club at Hill Head. Sadly, I had too much on today to try my luck, so I am a bit jealous of not being able to make the drive down there to view such an amazing little seabird.


A cracking photo of one of the Leach's Petrels off Hill Head today. Photo by Mark Francis.

It's been a long time since I saw my last Leach's Petrel; I think the last one was an individual flapping about in Langstone Harbour, just south of the harbour entrance many years ago. I have seen a few, notably my first one off Portland Bill that was going through a wicked storm at the time, with my birding pal, Geoff Farwell. Not a great deal else in Hampshire, though a very late juvenile Arctic Tern was seen off Weston, Southampton, earlier today.   

Last month, I had a total of 53 moth species seen of which 35 were macro species and 18 were micro species. Twelve of those seen were new for the year including the Convolvulus Hawk-moth, Marveille du Jour and Scarce Bordered Straw. However, I think this month will be remembered by all those into moths for the African species that turned up many European moths found on our shores. I think November will be quieter, but once I shall be trying my luck.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...