Thursday, November 3, 2022

A trip around Eastney Outfall.

Thursday 3rd November 2022.


The immature Shag off the Harbour Entrance this afternoon.

The relentless rain from last night and into this morning, eventually let up around midday, being replaced by a bright blue sky with occasional large clouds drifting through. I was itching to go for a walk and decided that Eastney Outfall and the Harbour Entrance deserved a good look for a change and almost immediately I noticed how colder it was when I stepped out of the car. Parking up within the small car park opposite the Harbour Entrance, it was a job to get somewhere where there was not a large expanse of water to step out into, but I did manage to grab a suitable spot.


Above, a cheery singing Starling greeted me and below, a very showy female House Sparrow.

The south-westerly wind blew across the exposed mudflats within Langstone Harbour and though I wasn't wearing a coat, my fleece was sufficient for today's conditions as I slowly made my way to the Hayling Ferry to scan the harbour to the north. Almost immediately, I came across an immature Shag preening on the water and seemed unperturbed by my presence as it swam quietly on the very calm water. They are regular here most of the winter and nearly all immature birds too as it soon eventually up sticks and flew off south towards the Solent.


Above, another photo of the immature Shag and below, a male Pied Wagtail on the spit near the Hayling Ferry.

The usual Starlings and House Sparrows were present in numbers including one ‘Spadger’ perching about 2 feet away from where I stood, hoping, most likely, to be fed a bit of bun burger. Not today! A good gathering of Starlings on the roof of the RNLI Building included a few singing birds, making the most of the sunny weather after the deluge of rain they all experienced this morning. A lone Dunnock was also seen scurrying into cover as I approached the only bramble in the area!


Above, a couple of Grey Herons were perched on the sunken bridge in the harbour. Below, Oystercatchers and Brent Geese in the harbour looking north.

From the spit overlooking the west and south side of Langstone Harbour, a few Rock Pipits were noted, while Oystercatchers, Curlews and Redshank were seen among the many Brent Geese on the mudflats. The sunken WW2 bridge out in the harbour provided a useful perch for a couple of Grey Herons, but little else of note to raise the pulse. I made my way back to the car and took a drive to the other car park further south overlooking the harbour entrance, being extremely careful as I negotiated the rain filled pot holes within the car park. Successfully getting my vehicle safely through, I parked up and took a slow walk down to the Outfall.


Above, several Meadow Pipits were feeding in the grass near the Outfall until I spooked them! Below, the Outfall looking south out into the Solent.

For a change, I was surprised to see no rubbish dumped here by ‘Fly Tippers’ and made a mental note of how many Meadow Pipits were flying up from the short grass by the beach. At least 6 birds flew up and were also joined by a much more friendly pair of Pied Wagtails by the car park. Some workmen were doing something in the Water Treatment Works, causing some sort of smoke to pour out where they stood, so I kept my distance as I took a walk down the southern end of the concrete Outfall.


Above, the view looking north into Langstone Harbour from the Outfall and below, one of several Common Gulls swimming in the Harbour Entrance.

A good scan over the Solent revealed nothing but Gulls and even the Harbour Entrance was rather quiet too, though I did see a few Common Gulls among the Black-headed and Herring Gulls. Over on the Hayling Island side, I could see a small flock of Sanderling flying along the shoreline, but they did not venture over this side of the harbour unfortunately. Never mind, it was very peaceful and sunny, so what's not to like? Apart from a few more Meadow Pipits rising as I made my way to the car, all was pretty quiet here. No lurking rare Wheatear here today,  but I do hope someone comes across one here on the south coast. Just got a message via 'The Lazee Birder', that a Red-throated Diver has been seen swimming off the Hayling Oysterbeds. 


Above, there were a few flowering Oxford Ragwort around and below, a Meadow Pipit waiting for me to pass by. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...