Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Windy, but plenty of moths.

Wednesday 19th October 2022.


Two Turnip Moths arrived overnight in windy conditions.

It was very blustery overnight as I noticed the white sheet flapping about in the wind before I headed off to bed and I wasn't really expecting many, if any, moths the following morning. However, I was wrong. A total of 19 moths of 10 species were present and although there was nothing new for the year within the box, I was really pleased I actually got any.


There was just the one Double-striped Pug.

Migrant moths included the two Turnip Moths and the Rusty-dot Pearl this morning, though I am still awaiting one of the ‘line’ Quakers to arrive. Though not common in my garden, they do turn up annually. There were few birds noted overhead, probably due to the strong easterly wind, but I did hear a Grey Wagtail flying over the houses while checking the moth box.  


The L-album Wainscot is a familiar moth in my garden.

Moths present this morning included the following:

  • 1 Large Yellow Underwing
  • 1 Lesser Yellow Underwing
  • 4 Feathered Ranunculus
  • 1 Garden Carpet
  • 1 L-album Wainscot
  • 2 Turnip Moth
  • 1 Double-striped Pug
  • 6 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 1 Clepsis consimilana
  • 1 Rusty-dot Pearl


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...