Friday, October 21, 2022

One hell of a Moth day!

Friday 21st October 2022.


My first Yellow-line Quaker of the year by my moth box this morning.

It was dry first thing this morning, although there looked to have been some overnight rain judging by the wet garden this morning, when I went outside to check the moth box. Right on cue, my first Yellow-line Quaker moth of the year was found outside the moth box, in an egg tray, which put a huge smile on my face! 


Feathered Ranunculus, Black Rustic and an L-album Wainscot moths from the egg trays.

A few migrant moths were present, with both Rush Veneer and Rusty-dot Pearl present and I read this morning that the moth traps on  Portland Bill produced another incredible migrant moth, a Robust Tabby (Pandesma robusta), a moth from southern Europe. This is hot on the heels of a first for Britain in the same location, a Southern Brindled Green!


A late Blastobasis adustella on the edge of the moth box.

Moths present this morning included the following:

  • 1 Yellow-line Quaker
  • 8 Feathered Ranunculus
  • 1 L-album Wainscot
  • 2 Black Rustic
  • 1 Blastobasis adustella
  • 1 Rush Veneer
  • 1 Rusty-dot Pearl
  • 4 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 1 Common Plume

Again, I heard a few Redwing flew high over the garden last night and this morning, while checking the moth box, a flock of 6 Greenfinch, a Skylark, 3 Goldfinch and some Meadow Pipits flew over.


Only my second ever Merveille du Jour moth. This was a real surprise this morning by Andy's moth box. 

This morning, I met up with Andy again at his house, for he had his moth box on overnight and wow, I never expected to see such superb moths by his trap. Though there had been plenty of overnight rain in Cowplain, it most certainly produced the goods with THREE new moths for the year including one spanking Merveille du Jour moth, a species I have only ever seen once before and that was quite a few years ago over the Oaks Crematorium, Havant.


Above, a Green-brindled Crescent and below, Cypress Carpet were both added to my year list.

What a stunning moth and was backed up with a Green-brindled Crescent and a Cypress Carpet. Other moths present included a Vine’s Rustic, Rush Veneer, 5 Eudonia angustea and singles of Common Plume, Tachstola acroxantha and Light Brown Apple Moth. Though short on numbers, still a very impressive list of moths.


Above, I counted at least 5 Eudonia angustea by Andy's moth box and below, a Rush Veneer was perched on his mop!

In truth, I really didn't expect many moths, for I was hoping for a bit of visible migration overhead seeing there has been a large thrush movement of late over southern Hampshire. I was not to be disappointed as there were several flocks of Redwing flying over, with one flock containing at least 40+ birds. Also seen during a few cups of coffee over a couple hour period were a flock of 20+ Goldfinch and a few smaller flocks, one Linnet, two Jackdaws, three Coal Tits and a Grey Wagtail heard several times but not seen. Andy had the briefest of views of a Red Kite heading south, but it disappeared behind the trees before I could get a glimpse. Hurrumph!


A couple of Goldfinches settled in the neighbouring gardens.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...