Thursday, October 27, 2022

Another nice spread of wildlife within the Cemy.

Thursday 27th October 2022.


One of many Robins within the Cemy today.

I didn't put the moth box on last night and I think I regretted that with so many migrant moths coming in. More Crimson Speckled are being recorded here on the south coast, with another sighted at Church Norton this morning and even bigger moth news concerns another ‘first for the UK’ in Fareham! Some lucky chap found an African moth, Pseudorzba biparta, within his trap and probably thought, what the f***!!! Yesterday, two more African moths, Yellow Under Pearl, were trapped on the Isle of Wight! Incredible. So my moth box is definitely going on tonight.




From top to bottom: a male Blackbird, Toadstools growing on the west side of the Cemy, which I think are still growing into their full shape and bottom, a Syrphus hoverfly species nectaring on the abundant Ivy. 

The balmy conditions continue on the south coast with a light southerly wind warming it up to a pleasant 18 degrees centigrade and it was probably warmer than that in the sunshine over at Highland Road Cemetery late morning, when I took a wander over there. Probably spurred on by a possible rare migrant bird or moth lingering there, I did get a good species total of 21 species notched up, though I did waste a Dunnock and a probably Chiffchaff. But one thing I learnt this morning: take your bloody binoculars! A few times I was frustrated in seeing something interesting and did not have my ‘Bananaramas’ to hand! Fume! 




From top to bottom: Tapered Drone Fly, Cormorants flying south over the Cemy and bottom photo, Smooth Sow-thistle growing amongst the leaf litter.

Probably the best sighting of all this morning was the pair of juvenile Cormorants flying high south over the Cemy and most likely heading towards the Solent. Though a very common bird near water, I do not often see them over the Cemy. The Green Woodpecker was flushed near the Mausoleum as I walked past and a pair of Goldcrests flitted just a few feet from where I stood within a Conifer Tree by the main footpath. Sadly, no Yellow-browed Warblers calling in the Cemy today, normally their tell-tale sign of their presence, though one was found over Lymington this morning.




From top to bottom: one of the Toadstools underside, a Common Wasp and a Wood Pigeon that will go to any lengths to grab an acorn!

Good numbers of insects were enjoying the flowering Ivy again, with both Tapered and Common Drone Flies and Common Wasps enjoying nectaring on the plants. The only butterfly seen this morning was a Small White fluttering over the grass over on the east side, though I did see a small butterfly which I assume was a Common Blue, but I could not get close enough to ID it. I did, however, flush a Rush Veneer moth on the grass, which settled nicely for a photo. I wasn't so lucky with another moth though as I soon spotted it flying low over the grass heading south. It was very pale and as I watched it fly out of view low over the graves, I gave chase, but I could not locate the moth. Speckled Crimson moths look very white in flight and I do hope it wasn't one of those that I missed!      





From top to bottom: a Five-spotted Ladybird, the showy male Goldcrest x2 and a Wood Pigeon also dangling to grab an acorn.

Birds seen or heard at Highland Road Cemetery today:

  • Herring Gull
  • Feral Pigeon
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Collared Dove
  • Green Woodpecker
  • Jay
  • Magpie
  • Carrion Crow
  • Starling
  • House Sparrow
  • Wren
  • Robin
  • Chaffinch
  • Greenfinch
  • Goldfinch
  • Blue Tit
  • Great Tit
  • Goldcrest
  • Meadow Pipit
  • Blackbird
  • Cormorant









The final flurry of photos from top to bottom: Common Groundsel which was abundant now, Grey Squirrel with a mouthful of Acorn, Rush Veneer moth, the Hoverfly, Myathropa florea, a small Toadstool from the family Psathyrellaceae which are all closely related, Goldfinch, Ox-eye Daisies, Chickweed and finally, a Jay was seen burying Acorns. 















No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...