Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Another Hawk-moth in my trap!

Tuesday 25th October 2022.

The Convolvulus Hawk-moth in my garden this morning. 

There was a real surprise when I took off the lid of my moth box this morning in the form of a Convolvulus Hawk-moth perched on the underside of the lid and then plopped onto the ground below. I had to rush indoors to grab my largest pot to contain the moth safely and grab some nice photos of this enigmatic Hawk-moth species.  What a cracker and my first since one I got down at East Prawle a few years back. One of my birding mates, Jim Walker, had one in his garden a month ago, but I really didn't expect one in my box.



More photos of the Convolvulus Hawk-moth. It is not everyday I get to see one of these amazing moths.

I suppose the rest pales into insignificance, but my second Red-line Quaker of the year was nice and a healthy number of Rusty-dot Pearls to go along with them.


Above, my second Red-line Quaker for the garden this year. Below, one of two Feathered Ranunculus this morning.

Moths present in and around the moth box this morning included the following:

  • 1 Convolvulus Hawk-moth (NFY)
  • 1 Red-line Quaker
  • 1 Lesser Yellow Underwing
  • 2 Feathered Ranunculus
  • 2 Double-striped Pug 
  • 4 Rusty-dot Pearl
  • 1 Tachystola acroxantha
  • 4 Light Brown Apple Moth
  • 1 Common Plume


There was just one Lesser Yellow Underwing today.

While checking the moths, a Grey Wagtail flew over a couple of times, obviously searching the rooftops around the area and a small flock of 4 Meadow Pipits headed south low over the houses. A Siskin was heard and as expected, not seen! 


Around a dozen House Sparrows feasted on my bird feeders.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plenty of moths and other insects this morning.

Sunday 19th May 2024 The micro moth, Mallow Seed Moth, was new for the year. I was up at ‘Beyondajoke’ o’clock again this morning though th...